Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter Outfits


Easter has always been my favorite time of year... it brings back great, pleasing, and joyful memories from my childhood (not many holidays do). So, in keeping with my mother's tradition, I try to make a dress for each of my girls for Easter... expanding that, I also make shirts and vest for the boys..... (sorry about the above picture.. not sure what setting Bob had that on).

Mom tensed me this year - because even starting a month and half early (which explains why Gabi's dress is two inches shorter than I had planned it to be) I was putting the embellishments on Sunday morning! She was laughing so hard because of my adventures with Beth, Jeremy and Peter in the store trying desperately to find BROWN dress shoes in "toddler" sizes (Gabi was fine) because apparently my sister and brother were the same way. Brings back memories for her - ones she wouldn't have laughed at then, but could now! (There's hope for me yet). Then she asked me if I remembered the year she bought us girls dresses.... honestly, No... No I do not. So she told me about it. (I have bought my girls dresses before, but I just love to make them... I love how I felt as a little girl getting these new dresses, freshly sewn by my loving mother... I want to pass that on.)

Well, I mentioned in an earlier post the the kids got to help this year... once... each... and then we ran out of time and I had to take over... Bob ended up home earlier on Saturday night and (the sweetest husband awards goes to him) he sat down and sewed on every single button on the boys shirts (you soon to be and just returning missionaries... Bob said that this was the reason missionaries are suppose to learn to sew! :))... even with that, we were in bed around 1am.... because I was cross eyed..... and everything could be worn, even if it wasn't "complete". In the end, I had everything except Gabi's little bows on - so I sewed those on the half hour ride to church... and finished just in time!

I'll admit that this year I was suppose to make pants and ties for the boys as well... but I knew that was not realistic for Easter... they will still get them... but I'm going to take a week long breather first! I also didn't put buttons on the vests yet... because the ones we got I ended up not liking... I had some I did like, but only enough for one vest... and no, I couldn't bring myself to do them on one and not the other.... and it was too late to go "shopping" and we don't shop on Sundays.

Though the boys shirts are terribly bright (say, living easter eggs), they really looked great! I might make lighter blue shirts for them too (not sure yet) to keep the tone down a notch for family pictures when the flowers bloom! And Gabi and I agreed to look for some really soft pink (like the flowers in her dress) to add a couple of inches on the bottom... so she can wear it longer.

Regardless of the "stress factor" it was a "good stress" mostly... but then, being up late three nights in a row really did me in.... we'll have none of that next year.... (yeah, right!)

5 comments:

  1. So beautiful! You did an awesome job! :) I am happy you had a great Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! They are adorable! I 5 or 6 incheshave to admit that I am still reminded occasionally of the year I sewed the hem on the dress I made, one the way to the dance in Bangor. I still can't bring myself to hem my jeans. I roll them up and walk on the bottom 5 or 6 inches. Maube I could get you to do that for me next time I buy jeans?

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops, that's where those words went, lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. man, I totally should have proofread that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am really impressed that you find the time to make them Easter outfits. Those will be some great memories for your kids. I wish that I knew how to sew so that I could teach my kids. I admire you and what a great mom you are!

    ReplyDelete