Friday, June 19, 2009

And It All Begins... The Baby Really Is Growing Up

I thought I'd wait until after the in-laws came and went... you know, traveling with a potty training or newly potty trained child is just not as much fun... so much easier to rely on diapers. And, since I didn't have an infant of my own to worry about, I figured we were good to wait.

I've let Peter lead the way... but the initial attempt ended the second time the pee went down his leg - since he was reacting to foods (and we didn't know them all yet) it burned his leg. Anyway, two days ago he woke up dry - he peed on the potty - he wanted to wear "undy-pants"... so, here we are.

Day one... perfect morning. Then he was more tired, but refused a nap... but still only a couple accidents. Day two... a few more accidents, but he figured out when to tell us he needed to go. Again, by afternoon he was "tired" and was having less enthusiasm for the "breaks in the day". Day three (today) was perfect until after he'd fallen asleep and got half a nap. Then it was dinner time and he was so cranky I thought he'd fall asleep again, so I put him in a pull-up. Well, he peed in it at 7pm... hey, not bad though... 12 full hours of no accidents... even through the nap!

He won't wear diapers any more (I tried to get him to wear one last night) insisting that he needed to wear the "undy-pants" to bed. I had picked up pull-ups for "on the go" so I finally convinced him those were okay. I don't think it will be long.. but the in-laws don't come for another two weeks.... traveling will be an adventure.. even if he is fully trained!

Insentives are tricky... no candies... that's new... so, it's 15 minutes of computer time. Which then was traded for movie time too... let's just say we've had a lot of media on in our house lately! (As a memory, though, Beth would only use M&Ms, Jeremy couldn't stand having the same treat twice in a row.. so we resorted to the mini-mix of chocolates, and with Gabi, well, she was cute. She received stickers. 1 for trying, 2 for peeing, 3 for a poop. The cute part: she'd run over, get her stickers, run back and flush them down the toilet. I'm sure this is not good for the sewer, but they were tiny and for some reason that was what kept her going)

No comments:

Post a Comment