First.. .well, I was annoyed... we found out less than 48 hours before it was suppose to happen. No big deal it it's wear a hat or crazy hair day or something like that.. but no... it was Decades Day! So what would any mother do? Go crazy combing the house for items that are now "dated" that she just loved and couldn't part with (because, of course, she's now officially "old")....
Not this mama....
We left most everything not needed when we moved.... thus, nothing to really work with!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And seeing that Wednesday afternoon was filled with dance, and soccer and then Thursday was the same... well, that didn't really leave much time to "figure something out" and make phone calls to random people to see what else they might have stashed away in their closets, or attics, or basements... or wherever one hides such precious items!
I figured Jeremy would be easy enough - a pair of pants, and white T-shirt... roll the pant legs with plenty of sock showing... roll the shirt sleeves (nice and wide)... but omit the pack of cards that normally mocks as the pack of cigarettes... grease the hair and Bam! A greaser... 1950's done!
1980's might work out well... baggy T-shirt knotted to the side, crimped hair (but no crimper), front forward side pony tail and huge bangs sprayed to death and pants in that ridiculous "make them as tight as you can on the ankle" roll (yes I did that).. though I realized the last was only just coming into play and was a much bigger part of the 1990's.
But what about the other... maybe both would be 1980's....
So, off to the store I went (not for Decades Day) to get something else to finish another project I'm helping out with for Gabi's class. All the time I'm considering what I might have and how to dress them up (how cute it would have been to have them each from a different decade... but, really, there was no time to consider that).
And there it was... the poodle applique! And thus the poodle skirt evolved in my head - it's simple enough... I can whip that up... a button down shirt (I think we still have one of those somewhere) and I'm certain we have a simple sweater. I know we have ribbon. Done...
Turns out I was silly (being a bit over tired and with a headache and two boys in tow) and got the wrong fabric... I was planning a mock poodle skirt.... nope, the real deal it was... that meant hemming. The fabric - turned out there was a reason it was cheap... harder to work with.... But, I did it... I knew I could... and Beth was, of course, informed that she would also be a 50's girl for Halloween.... I don't make costumes twice! (And Gabi is getting to be a pioneer because that's what she needs for her field trip coming up)
So morning comes (after going to bed at 1am and getting up twice with baby)... Gabi was no problem.. we braided her hair the night before..... but man I wish I'd had one of those large (huge) rolling curling irons... her hair would have stood up better. She was a good sport - though she HATES hair spray. No, I didn't do the blue eye shadow... I totally should have! And better yet, white washed jeans... who would have thunk it? She had a pair in her closet... not exactly full length, but big enough that they seem it and not a straight white wash - it had some weird white circles in there too... but it worked. No crazy folded tight ankle cuff things. Of course, we only have white socks around here or she would have had layered, brightly colored ones!
Beth was sooooo happy to be "pretty" - but the button down shirt didn't seem to be with us any more (probably out grew it last year) and I couldn't find a sweater without a hood! Seriously... what's with the few sweaters we have ALL having hoods? (Though I know there should be one somewhere from Gabi's baptism without a hood). Oh well... no sweater... a cute white shirt will do... and then a ribbon in her hair with the ends curled under.... (but notice the skirt... no poodle... I swear.. .it's on there... I just didn't have anything to make the skirt poof out... we'll get that fixed before Halloween). And we'll likely do the hair in the curly pony tail with the scarf ribbon thing instead.
Jeremy... oh, Jeremy... nice dark pants, bright white socks, white shirt... easy, easy.... but no.... it took him over 40 minutes to get dressed... I quickly rolled everything and then attacked his hair.... oh boy! Spray it till it's drenched... (I don't have gel around here) then load it up with mousse - then spray it like crazy ... and add finishing cream (which I knew would keep the "wet shiny look").... should have been fast and simple, right? Fast... sure (for the hair).... but simple it was not! He literally screamed the entire time I was "greasing" his hair! "I HATE the way this feels! It's gross! STOP that! It feels weird!".... I guess there is no question, Jeremy will NEVER use hair products by his own free will and choice!
Anyway... decades day is done... we got through... everyone knew who they were... they got great compliments... one Halloween costume down (mostly).... and they all hit the bath or shower right after school to bring them back to 2010 in time for two baptisms! WOW!
No comments:
Post a Comment