Gabi was very eager to join the spelling team this year. It was the first year she was able, and we were supportive. She practiced at school both during team meetings and on her own for recess. She also practiced at home. We encouraged her, but were also realistic with her - telling her that she is a 4th grader in a competition for 4-6th graders. That this year was really a practice year, and that each year she'd get better.
The school held their own spelling bee in the middle of January. She had to do a series of written words, then spelling some orally. I only got to see half of that as I had a meeting I ran off to - late. I was surprised and thrilled to come home that evening to find out she had taken 1st at the school level.
So, off to the county level she went - on January 26th. For her group, they only did the oral spelling. She made the first round, then the second, then the third... my heart was racing as she managed to make it to the last three.... and then it happened... she made the show down - the two left standing going back and forth. Those last words were big - huge - and amazing to even consider at their age. Both girls did really well. Both misspelled the same words... until..... the other girl spelled one that Gabi missed and then got her next word right. Gabi took 2nd... are we disappointed that she only took 2nd... heck no!!!!!!!! That girl was smokin' out there - she was spelling words that I'd choke on (which Bob would likely laugh and say wouldn't take much because I do much better if I can see it... though that's no guarantee either). She was amazing... and you know what... both the first place girl and Gabi were 4th graders!!!!!!!!!
As the second place contestant, Gabi's earned a chance at the state bee. It's optional. We've not yet decided. She is, after all, only in 4th grade.
No comments:
Post a Comment