Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Blue Toddler Socks

So it's been nearly a month - or more or something - since I last posted. Sorry about that. At first I just figured I'd get more pictures of the baptism sweater so I could get both posts up after downloading pictures - but that kept not happening and then we've been through several bouts of illness.... needless to say, the socks have been downloaded but I've still not taken the sweater pictures and so here we go....

The whole reason I wanted to learn to knit was because I love knit socks. There is nothing quite like them - and yes, I can buy them for a similar price as the materials for making them. But since we all know I'm a much more pleasant person when I have a project to work on - something creative and not pressure set (as in no deadlines), and since I can't sew right now (well not much) because I have a toddler who is constantly taking apart or at least playing with my sewing machine... well you get the picture. And yes, my dear husband thinks I'm crazy too... so don't mind crazy, but here's the scoop.

So like I said, I wanted to learn to knit JUST so I could make socks. Of course, this was quite awhile back. I did teach myself to knit in college - albeit not exactly right, though it worked just fine - and then didn't do anything more with it until I was pregnant with Jacob. I hit a really crazy nesting period starting around month 5 and had to just keep making stuff. It was nice, but also super crazy. Anyway, there was a sweater I had wanted to make for my kids and I realized it was a knit pattern, so I made five - yes, I said five - by Christmas that year. That's how I learned to really knit (the right way) and to purl and to do a three needle bind off and to pick up stitches... well you get the picture. All the necessary basics.

Well, my sock craving had never gone away and only increased, so for Christmas Santa was kind enough to bring me a sock book - something to teach me what I needed to know. I had inherited the needles (well, most of them) from Bob's great aunt and was excited to jump in. The book I used was "Knit Socks!" by Betsy Lee McCarthy.... but, true to Tara form, I couldn't just follow the pattern - or even start with the starter sock. I went with the toddler one - called "Little Guys" which is a k2p2 rib top followed by a broken rib pattern - the pattern is supposed to go all the way down the leg and continue on the top of the foot (the instep)... but I only did it on the leg and then I just knit the whole foot.


I was nervous about knitting in the round since I chose to use double pointed needles, but I did really well and found that it's not as scary as it looks - I generally only lose stitches when the toddler decides he needs one of my needles and pulls it out.. and I've learned how to put the needle back in just fine! I also thought the foot was going to be a touch too long, so I shortened it a little - wish I hadn't... the toddler's foot doesn't quite fit... nearly, but not well enough for him to want to keep the socks on his feet - although he loved them and wanted them on and even when he took them off he lugged them around the house. I have a dear friend with a littler one then mine so (when I find the socks again) she'll get to have them.

I was terrified of the heel turning and gussetts... why? Well, I've always heard they are scary.. as in really hard and complicated. I have no idea what people were talking about... either that or this lady just writes the instructions so they are super easy to understand... I found it to be really easy. And I LOVE that she has you working with five needles instead of the traditional four... this meant I didn't have to worry about what they call "ladders" the areas that are too loose where you change needles. Personally I think it also helps me keep all my stitches on the needles too.

What I didn't understand was why she had me break the yarn and then restart - the way it all landed for me, all I had to do was pick up stitches along the side she wanted me to and the yarn was already in the right place to do that. So the one sock I broke off (not realizing this before hand) and there is a tiny gap there, but the second one I didn't... and it looks great! I also learned how to do a kitchener stitch - to close up the toe.



Eventually I want to learn to do toe up socks, but right now I'm just playing with top downs. The next pair is in the works - they're for my mother for her birthday (though they may be late in getting there) - and yes, she knows about them or I wouldn't have posted that.

So, what do you think of my very first socks?

No comments:

Post a Comment