Friday, March 28, 2014

Write It, Draw It, Experience It, Dream Big: Lit Jam

This was our annual Lit Jam week. For those of you who have figured out that I like to write, you'll know this is a big deal to me every year. I know, it shouldn't be - after all it's all about the kids - but it is. A large part of that is because I work with my kids on their submissions. I don't change them - I do let it be their own - when or fail. But I'm the one who combs through their work, asking them deep thinking questions so they can improve what they've put together if they want to.

Of course, I can't do the same with drawing, painting, or any of that kind of art. That's not where my talents currently lie. But Beth makes sure that every year she submits a piece of art work along with her writing. I'm glad she does because I know art is really important to her - and I think she's amazing at it. Now, if only I could help her more in that area….

Lit Jam here is an opportunity for kids to not only submit writing and flat art, but for them to meet new authors and illustrators and to learn more about the processes that make for great writers and illustrators. It's open to grades three through eight, so this year we had Jeremy, Beth and Gabi attending. Every year, Bob attends as well as an educator (room monitor), so I stay home with my little monster and the others (this year, it was just Peter and Jacob). I don't mind the time with just a couple, but I know I would LOVE to be at Lit Jam. Crazy, but that's the kind of thing I get excited about. This year, I missed an amazing professional storyteller!!!!!!! I love those kinds of people!


In past years, awards were based solely on the rubric. This year, according to what I read, each student's work went through the rubric and then those with a full rating on the rubric were judged a third time to determine excellent or superior. In other words - they made it harder to get an award!!!!!!! Actually, I think this is good because over the years they've had more and more awards handed out. It was time to challenge them more - help them improve and stretch.

Each kid could enter up to two things. Gabi did narrative and poetry, Beth did narrative and a painting, and Jeremy did narrative and poetry.

Our kids did well and were able to place with at least one of their pieces. Proud Mama Moment for sure. Gabi placed excellent for both her pieces. Jeremy placed excellent with his poetry. And Beth took a superior rating on her narrative.


Additionally, we had the privilege of hosting Adam Glendon Sidwell for dinner and dessert, along with our dear friends. The kids and I had read his book, Evertaster, before I went to LTUE (a writers' conference in Utah). He was on a panel that I went to, and then I went to his presentation as well. I managed to introduce myself knowing he would be coming to our area for Lit Jam and that my kids (ages 3-11, at the time) loved the book.


He was great with the kids - talking to them about everything from his book and writing to whatever interested them. Jacob insisted that he was "Adam Sidwell" every time he said his name… but think a three year old voice in a very humanized form of robot and you might understand why that was so cute.  Additionally, earlier in the week, Jacob had said that Adam, the prophet, was coming to our house. When corrected that it was Adam the guy who wrote Evertaster, he said "But Adam was a prophet, Mom."

Adam Glendon Sidwell also spent his day before Lit Jam presenting and doing work shops at our school. So my kids got to see a lot of him. They really enjoyed all that he did, and his very dynamic presence.

If you're interested in learning about Adam Glendon Sidwell and his books you can see them at these sites:
http://www.evertaster.com/about-the-author/
https://www.facebook.com/AdamGlendonSidwell

He write middle grade fiction and also has a picture book coming out next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment