Monday, November 30, 2009

Adjusting Traditions

Christmas is coming - around the corner really, and this year we're looking at changing some traditions. After all, we're near family now and so some adjustments make sense. I have to admit there is part of me which screams "no way... this is how we've always done it with our own little family so this is the way we'll always do it" and yet another part is finding a growing sense of excitement in trying to think up other "new" things to start.

So - I think we've decided the Midnight gift opening ritual (which the youngest always seem to sleep through anyway) is going to have to be set aside. The kids seem fine with it... the only problem (though the kids don't see it as a problem yet) is that the kids will not be able to open gifts until a "reasonable hour" when family has a chance to gather (sometime after 7am).... I know, I think it's asking too much, but we'll see.

One of the "exciting new" things for me is coming up with something yummy for first thing in the morning. We never really worried about it - made snowman pancakes as the kids came to the table (we just might have to continue with that too). Bob, of course suggested cinnamon rolls, which everyone loves. Simple enough to have together the night before and then pop in the oven that morning. But when he said that, I thought of Danish pastries... I love those. I've never made them, but I've always wanted to learn. So, I've just found a recipe with great reviews that I'm going to try out sometime this next week. And if all works out well, I'll be making homemade apple and cheese danishes (not mixed, two different kinds). Maybe a lemon one? I'm excited. We'll have a little "bakery" of sorts... I might have to make up some doughnuts for the boys... we'll see.

Now... to keep them entertained from 3 until the gift opening time..... (maybe we'll be lucky and it will be 6am).... maybe some special Christmas games ... yes, there are stockings, but really, how long will those last? Any ideas?

3 comments:

  1. will they REALLY wake up at 3 am?!?! I mean, I am sort of the one everyone groans to have home at Christmas because I wake up early and bug everyone to wake up to open presents, but I have never been known to wake up at 3...
    Keep your kids up late the night before doing fun Christmas things, and I would be willing to bet (although you know your kids best, of course) that they wouldn't wake up until AT LEAST 5 am! :) And ask Bob, but I think we had to stay in our bedrooms until a specific time, which THEN we could go look at what Santa brought in the stockings. Of course we always snuck into each others' rooms to play games quietly until the time to go out and see the stockings, but I still remember it as being fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do share if your danishes come out good. I'd love to give that a try! Hope it works out well for you. My kids don't usually get up to early 7-8am... Sometimes I even have to wake one of them up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sisters and I got up at 3am at least one Christmas that I remember.. it was torture because we kept be told to go back to bed and every hour we'd try again... At my mom's house we could go down get our stockings and then go back to our rooms - but I love getting pictures of the kids as they look at their stockings and pull everything out. And yes, Bob has made mention of the staying in your room until a certain hour... who knows, we'll see... I just know I have two early birds when it's not Christmas and I seriously doubt they will be less early on Christmas morning (even if we do sty up late Christmas Eve)... I'm thinking I might engage them in helping with the actual baking... which would work well if we have to fry doughnuts.

    ReplyDelete