Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Christmas Carols

When Peter was born he gave me a great gift. He was easy in so many ways, but not in going to sleep. That is until I realized he would only go to sleep if he was sung to. Not just any songs, but the Hymns. It was perfect for me - Bob's schedule was crazy, I was in many ways a single mom (with the benefit of a husband) with three very young kids and a new baby. I was so tired all the time and rarely picked up my scriptures or Ensign or anything that might fill me spiritually because I was sleeping whenever I possibly could between the baby and the demands of life with kids.

That half hour every day of singing the Hymns to little Peter filled me and kept me going. It was a time for me to feel the love my Savior has for me and recharge and get ready for the next round of chaos.

Well, this year I've had a special treat. Peter has always enjoyed music - usually he's very specific about what people can sing - and he loves to dance, to sing, to listen. As I've been spending more time in the chair, he'll come cuddle up and sing Christmas Carols with me. He smiles, tells me the song or agrees to one I suggest when he can't think of another. His focus seems to be on Santa right now, though his favorite carol is "The Little Drummer Boy". He'll join me several times a day, snuggling and singing.

I especially love when he lays across my lap and looks up at me while we're singing. That's when those precious baby memories gather round - another special gift my Peter has given me!

No comments:

Post a Comment