Crazy, crazy dance week! I still don't understand the point behind having rehearsal every single night all week long. Although, they do a real ballet and I guess putting the different people together in each scene does need practice... still, that could be accomplished in other ways too - and tap, well, that certainly doesn't need the over drill! Of course, that's also the mother in me who is looking at the whole picture - dance, school, dinner, sleep... you know... the whole big thing!
Anyway - we made it through and we're recovering nicely! (Thank goodness)
I was sick - and so was Jeremy - but we did the drop off and pick ups. The baby wasn't sleeping well, so one of those days he finally fell asleep and we were going to need to run out to drop off kids - thank goodness for mother-in-laws.... she ran the girls in so Jacob could sleep!
And this time of year is extra busy for Bob - you know, end of the school year and all that....
Friday afternoon till past dinner, I had the girls and Jacob at dress rehearsal. Once again my mother-in-law came to the rescue watching the other boys - she did it again Saturday morning. Jacob was great through Friday - down and crawling, getting wonderfully dirty and trying to grab anything interesting that was in his way. Saturday morning's dress rehearsal he and I took a little walk, he fell asleep and had a little nap in the stroller, and he generally did okay. In fact, for part of it he was down right happy! But, as time wore on, and he wasn't at home to do whatever he wanted, and all that, well, he wasn't quite so happy. He did get to a point where he was more aware of the music, and every time a dance would start up he'd start bouncing with a huge grin on his face!
I take pictures during dress rehearsal on Saturday because I don't want to deal with heads and all that during the night. It was a good thing I did too, because Jacob was more than done with dance stuff, fussed quite a bit and (seeing that it was also past bedtime and he'd not had good naps) he was very tired! (Not to mention that there was this issue with moving chairs around, after they had been reserved, and our chairs completely disappeared so we were no longer on an aisle and landed in the middle instead... but that's another story, which I won't get into here as it's a very bitter and irritating one for me).
The down side to taking pictures during rehearsal was that they hadn't completely figured out the lighting yet and were playing with it. So, as you see, Beth's pictures aren't as bright (and no, I've not taken the time to lighten them yet, I do know how and I will before putting them in an album). And they forgot to pull the black curtain across the backdrop for tap. Still, it was much easier to take pictures then and at least we have some photographic memories!
They did Alice in Wonderland this year - Gabi was a rose being painted red...... and Beth was a flower of some sort in the beginning. This was also the year that (in this dance studio) Gabi was able to do a tap dance.
I must admit that I miss the true "recital" form of dance recitals. The girls don't get to preform like they did in Maine, and we don't really get to see what they've learned in ballet - and for the younger kids, tap. The actual ballet is neat... but I have a friend who said that where she went as a kid (not around here) they had a "recital", all the classes doing a full dance, then intermission and then followed it up with an actual ballet. I love that idea... .but, when your dance teacher is over 80 years old (literally ... though she's in amazing shape and really knows her stuff) it's not likely that we'll see anything like that any time soon.
Any qualified, aspiring, modest dance teachers ready to take over in the area?
Well... like everything else this time of year, I'm glad it's done. Just waiting for school to get out and then we can move into summer mode... wonder if the weather will follow suit.....
No comments:
Post a Comment