Friday, August 3, 2012

Icy Cold - Sweet Treat - Homemade Sorbet

Okay - so no pictures - at least not right now. I'm kind of lazy when it comes to that kind of thing. But I wanted to share with you my new adventure this summer. Okay - so one of my new adventures. The making of Sorbet.

I've wanted to do this for years, but just never did. I would actually google recipes and all that and then never do it. Fear of failure I think, though some might say it was fear of success. In any case, it took me until this summer to do it.

See, I had 8 cups of raspberries sitting in my fridge and I knew they needed to be used up within the next couple of days. Normally I'd just make a raspberry pie - and for those of you who know me, you know I love raspberry pie. But it was really hot - and it wasn't supposed to cool down - and the nights weren't going to be bringing in a heavy breeze to cool down the house as much as I like - so I got determined.

I made a batch of Raspberry Sorbet - yummy, delicious - we loved it - big hit! But my real favorite sorbet is not Raspberry - it's lemon. Yes, I'm a bit of a lemon junky - I love lemon pie, I love lemon bars, I love my lemonade - and make it a bit tart please - I love lemon cake - if it is lemon, I probably love it.

Well - we had recently decided to take Jacob off raspberries again and give him until next year - so I needed something different for him anyway - so I made lemon sorbet (basically it's lemonade frozen). Bob and I especially enjoyed the two flavors together!

Anyway - here I am having made my second batch of both - but could I be certain I'd done the same amounts of everything? Of course not. See the other thing about me that my dearest friends already know is that I rarely (if ever) follow a recipe exactly (even the first time through) and then I'm terrible about not writing down what I did until I'm not certain what I did. A few times I've been smart enough to write things down and I've been very happy with the results.

So - tonight, after messing up my lemon sorbet (as in too tart, even for me) - I've made a new discovery.... Raspberry Lemonade Sorbet! OH MY GOODNESS! I think it's my new favorite! And I'm pretty sure I figured out what I did wrong - and then I wrote down all three recipes. Yeah for me!

So I thought I'd share... and no, you do not need an ice cream maker - and it's completely dairy free. So enjoy!

For all Sorbets, you will need either a food processor (which is what I have) or a blender, a pan and stove, measuring utensils, glass baking pans, and, of course, a freezer. You may find a few other things useful - like spoons! =)

Raspberry Sorbet
7-8 cups raspberries
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 T. lemon juice
2 cups water

Lemon Sorbet
1 cup lemon juice
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/4 cup sugar

Raspberry Lemonade Sorbet
31/2-4 cups raspberries
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/8 cups lemon juice
3 cups water

Start by dissolving sugar in liquids. I do this by putting them all (lemon juice, water and sugar) into a sauce pan and heating just until sugar is fully dissolved. For the Lemon, pour into an 8x8 or 9x9 glass baking pan and move to freezer. For the others: Blend raspberries and syrup together until completely smooth and even. Pour into a 9x13 glass baking dish and move to freezer.

Should you desire to do so, you can stir the mixture every 30 minutes to an hour. I didn't bother the second time I made them. Once mixture is completely frozen (at least 6 hours), soften slightly and cut out chunks. Place chunks - a few at a time - in the food processor and blend (pulsing as necessary) until all chunks are smooth. Scoop out and place into a container suitable for the freezer (I like to place the container in the freezer for at least 5 minutes prior to beginning this process). Once scooped, place container in freezer, process next set of chunks, scoop those and put into same container. Once everything is smooth and in container, cover and freeze.

Hope you have fun! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment