Saturday, July 21, 2012

Adventures for Lynne's Birthday

What do you do when it's a beautiful day, you have family visiting, and it's your birthday? Well, for Lynne that would be have everyone go to the lake. Do you think there were any complainers? Not that I know of - certainly none from my house.


So off we went for a day in the lake - on the lake - looking at the lake. Water squirters were great for water fights - of which, my older boys (Jeremy and Peter) thought they might be able to take on Uncle Adam. Uncle Adam had his own super charged squirters and was able to hold his own.





No trip to the lake is complete without some canoe jumping! Last year it was just the older girls. This year little Olivia wanted to do it too. She was a little concerned when she got in the water, but Gabi swam with her and she very quickly gained her own confidence.

Jeremy and Peter also decided to try it out. I totally missed a picture of Jeremy, and after the first time he decided it wasn't his thing -so he went to the tiny little sandy strip and started digging instead. Peter panicked - totally freaked out about being in water that he couldn't stand up in. Gabi tried to help him, but, of course, he wasnted to grab on to her. So she was instructed to leave him alone and get out of his reach. Hey - we're not totally mean, everyone was wearing a life jacket. But it sure made from some good discussion with Gabi about the importance of not getting too close to someone who is panicking in water.

Peter and Olivia decided it was fun enough to do again - though  neither "jumped" again, but rather just went over the edge.





(And Jacob and I just had fun watching the whole event - along with Marie and Lynne and Adam) 


A favorite part of being at the lake is canoe rides - though there seemed to be few of them this year. Probably because the kids were too interested in jumping out. Never the less, Marie and Adam took Eli out. Then Bob took out his mother - a yearly tradition! And after that Jacob got to on his very first canoe ride ever! He was so excited - and we  had so much fun listening to him sing every song he could think of.

Fun song story: He started with Bob the Builder - which is always fun because of Bob, then sang some oldies and funny songs - like Barbara Ann. The best part was that he wanted me to sing I am A Child of God - which I began to receive the response "I not like it!" I didn't know what he meant since he loves that song. Then Bob started singing it in Spanish. Jacob grinned and said "Yeah, that's the one".

Later, while telling the story to Marie and Lynne, with Jeremy was digging in the dirt at our feet, Marie saiys "What? You don't know all the words after five kids?" - teasing me, of course, to which I replied something like "nope. But my older three do - or at least mostly" - Jeremy piped up with "I do." So Marie asked him to sing it. He started, stopped and then said "I don't remember all the words. Or any actually."








That was the actual birthday - but then we had to celebrate the following day too. So out came the stomp rockets and the gysers. Yes, we do them every year! But this year, there was a extra gyser for Lynne to pull!












No party is complete without cake - of course - and Lynne's favorite is German Chocolate. I made the cake - Gabi made the elephant banner to go on top. It was, of course, super delicious!







To top of the night, we had a little family music recital. Piano pieces played by Gabi, Haley, Beth, Jeremy, Annie, and Peter. Then a recorder piece by Gabi - and Beth tried to do a violin piece, but was really having a hard time since it had been awhile and that violin isn't her favorite. She's so crazy picky about sound. I supposed that will be a good thing later on.



 I do have other pictures - and several of the ones I picked out, for whatever reason, would not load up. I suspect - since blogger keeps telling me to use a different browser or to update (which I can't - we're using a really old computer.. but it works and we like it and so we'll use it till we can't) - anyway, I suspect it has to do with the browser. I'll look into more later. Right now I'm just trying to get caught up a little. Just a little.

(UPDATE: I discovered someone could see a picture that I thought hadn't posted... so I finally sucked it up and check on a different browser... so sorry for the wackiness of pictures. I think I'll try to follow bloggers suggestion and use a different browser when updating and my firefox for everything else.)





No comments:

Post a Comment