Okay, so we're here... all of us. Bob and Gabi arrived very late Sunday night (or rather very early Monday morning). They were able, with some help, to completely unload the truck Monday in amoungst the rest of the "checking in" and then drop off the truck all while picking us up at the airport on Tuesday. Gabi is "done" with long trips - I don't blame her, but she really enjoyed the time with Dad.
We got through the weekend, did rather well. The kids were really good about running up to the apartment to be loud instead of being in "the big house". We even had Papa get out his guitar Monday night and play and sing for us. I managed to recorded several of the songs. It was nice.
Tuesday was the big - me and three across the country - trip. Nanny took us to the airport, and thankfully she was able to get a pass to go through security to help me and the kids on to the plane. I say thankfully because Jeremy put on quite the show!
He doesn't handle waits and lines well - and he was eager to get on the plane to get his snack bag. He didn't like waiting for everyone and kept trying to shuffle ahead of people. Peter was already in a harness leash and Jeremy got a warning. But, he went on with a full size (and over grown) tantrum. Screaming and Yelling as I trapped him and forced the harness on (because he wouldn't stay with us). Nanny took him, screaming, trashing, hitting and all, while I gathered the rest of our stuff off the belt and the other kids. It was a nightmare.. I was red in the face from embarassment, all the while waiting for security to come over and remove him from me.. that's when he started yelling "I hate you, Mom!" and "NO! NO! Mom, NO!" At which point I at least knew everyone around would know I really was the mother. I glanced over at security only to find every single one of them trying hard not to laugh. (I'm sure they've seen it a million times!)
The airplane was much better. We were blessed to have wonderful flight attendants who love kids and were totally understanding of the boys climbing on everything. Though we didn't have to change flights, we did have a stop in Chicago. Up to that point the kids were perfect. After that the boys were just too jittery, but really did great! When we arrived, we were 15 minutes early, but Bob was running late because of fingerprinting for his new teaching job. So he still had the truck to drop off! I managed to get the baggage off and onto a cart, sent Jeremy and Beth in to potty, then tried to take Jeremy back in with me to change Peter. A security officer ended up standing beside Beth and Jeremy and our lugage instead. Then we waited for Bob - what a wonderful relief to be together again!
We got some food then ran over to Great Grandma's to visit before heading on the hour and half ride to our new house. It's good to be here - good to be together.. but we have a lot to do.
We have a new address and new phone number (the number will be usable about midweek next week) and the internet goes in this Friday! We're making head way, just slowly. If you need our address and or number, just email me and I'll be happy to pass it along!
I'm glad you made it safely. I wish you the best of luck with settling in, and getting the kids back into some kind of normal. I wish your experience flying had been a bit better.
ReplyDeleteI am glad that everyone is there safely. Sounds like quite an adventure. I have had my share of fits to deal with at the airport too. So I can tell you that it wasn't the first time security has seen something like that! I hope moving in and getting settled goes smoothly for you. I would love to see pictures of your new place.
ReplyDeleteyou arrived safe and sound, if a little frazzled. I'm excited that you're so close now! I'm gonna have to arrange a road trip next summer and come see you! I'd email you to get your address, but I don't have your email address! I think you have mine, maybe? Pass it along if you could. No rush, jsut when you get the chance. Love and HUGS!!!!!!!
ReplyDelete