Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Baby Names

We don't typically play the baby name game until later - or as my husband has reminded me "it's not the third trimester yet." I think that has something to do with when we were expecting Gabi and I had a whole list and we went through names like they were going out of style... had very few we could actually agree upon. When it came down to it, we had two names for Gabi - the one could only be used if she had black hair because it was Spanish and I just couldn't imagine a Spanish name on a blond... Gabi had black hair for all of one week. So much for that theory. Needless to say, she wasn't actually named until she came.

Bethie was even harder because we didn't learn that she was a girl until she was born. We had a boy's name picked out - though I could not, for the life of me, tell you what it was. And it was the night before going into labor with her that I suddenly had a first name for a girl. Her middle name was written on a scrap of paper and handed to me to okay before the nurses were told her name. Yup... we just take our time.

Jeremy was hard for a number of reasons - and we did finally settle on his name before he came, but not certain enough to announce his name before hand. And Peter - well, I knew his first name about four days or so before he came. And I knew the middle name would be one of two. I was in labor when we decided.

Anyway - though we take our jolly good time about it, it's not like names aren't discussed at least on some level... normally between me and the kids. This time, well, I don't have any names sticking out like sore thumbs just begging to be tried out. Apparently this is one boy too many - or I'm just lacking the brain cells to compute. (Most like it's the latter). So I've been asking the kids what they think...

Part of the problem is we've got some Thomas the Tank Engine fans around here - and as anyone who knows Thomas the Tank Engine will know, there are a lot of names used up there. Not a big deal except that Peter is so into it that any name they have that we might have wanted to use ever now screams "TRAINS! THOMAS THE TANK ENGINE! FRIENDS OF THOMAS!" So that makes it hard already. (But as my husband already said, we're not in the third trimester yet - thus we're not really trying to come up with a name yet)

The cute part to this is that the other day when I asked Peter if he had any ideas he comes up with Isaac. "Isaac?" I said, "Where did you hear that name?"

Beth piped up with something about Gabi's friend back in Maine. To which I said, "yeah, I remember, but I don't think Peter does." So I asked him again "Where did you hear the name Isaac?"

And Peter's response "Because Isaac was a prophet."

(Yeah, we've been listening to the Prophet song which will be used later this year in the Primary Presentation)

No comments:

Post a Comment