Friday, April 8, 2011

Nose-Sault

A week and a half ago, Bethie invented a new move.... I call it the nose-sault.

Recess is never as boring as when you need to get a drink - so you amble inside to a classroom (with a water fountain) because the one outside is just not to your liking. There is no teacher around, just a few close friends, and well, it'll only take a minute. Get a drink and then work your way back through the maze of desks... wait, this is by far more fun then recess. Hands placed squarely (or close enough) on two separate desks and begin swinging. Before you know it, feet swing too far back, hands slip off, and down goes the head making the nose-sault complete!

Yes, this would be Beth! She landed on her nose - it started to bleed, so she and friend went to the office. The bleeding was taken care of, no explanation given, and off they went to class (at this point, it was not obvious there was a problem). Bob (who works in the same school) saw her later. She had a black line across her nose and going down into her right eye. The rest of the nose was swollen and red -a true Rudolph! This all happened at morning recess.

No ice was given - no tears shed - and home she came happy as ever and ready to play with friends. She was watching a movie (which came earlier in the week then planned) when Bob called to ask me if I'd seen Beth yet. I had no idea - four extra kids, getting snack out, and Beth running off to change made it a little less than obvious that I need to take a look. So, on the phone I walk to the other room and stand in front of her - curtains closed, room nice and dark (so the movie could be better seen) and I saw the mess right away (of course, I've also already heard the story from Bob) and am trying not to laugh as I say "She broke her nose!"

Well, it was straight, it had happen HOURS ago, and she appeared to be fine. So I figured, no reason to head in to the doctors and possibly re-break (the nice term being, "set") her nose. Bob took her to see Dad, it was decided that she was probably fine but that she ought to have it checked just in case of breathing issues. So, the next morning (the black now being contained just to the nose) I get her an appointment and in we go... doctor couldn't tell right there if it was broken or not, but the one side was more swollen then the other, so he wanted an X-ray... nix that, a CAT scan (apparently it makes it easier to see such little bones and differentiate between growth plates and fractures).



That afternoon she went in for her CAT scan (the first of the 7 of us to ever do that) - all smiles, but trying to "not be happy". I had to laugh... it is fun to have the attention, even if it wasn't planned and even if it did mean you had to do normally 'scary' things. She's a middle child... can you tell!

*I took the picture the second day - it was healing well... it did blacken more a couple days later though.

1 comment:

  1. Oh this sweet girl. Her poor nose!! I love her and truly appreciate her energy and innocence. She looks so proud in the picture that I couldn't help but laugh. Reading the story I felt sad for her.

    ReplyDelete