This May brought me to ten years of mother's days and ten years of marriage (as my anniversary was just days after mother's day). That's a lot of time, at least from a younger perspective. In reality, it's time that has flown right by.
I can still remember my pregnancy with Gabi, my labor and delivery, the moment she was placed in my arms. I can still remember the panic of knowing that I was now responsible for one of God's children - that she was perfect and untainted and that the world was corrupt and would try to corrupt her. It was both a wonderful and fearful feeling.
The years have passed and we've both learned so much. That's what life is all about - that's what families are for - to help us learn and grow in the best ways.
As the years went by, Beth and Jeremy and Peter came along... then, after considering moving into a different phase of life, we welcomed Jacob. The mention of each child brings a flood of memories - the waiting, the anticipation, the struggles, the love, the laughter, the courage, the tears, all of it. Each one has added something special to our family. Each one has taught me more than I could ever have imagined. I would most certainly never have come so far on my journey in life without them.
Our anniversary went by nearly unnoticed this year. Not because we forgot, but because dance took front row. Life was busy that week - it always is. So no special celebration, but the kids understood. We celebrate with them because it marks the day our forever family was started!
I was sick, or I might have figured out a way to make it special anyway... but a day or two later I was feeling better and so Peter and I made heart shaped mini apple turnovers. A very yummy treat, even if it was a little later (and we enjoyed them in our various runnings here and there).
Ten years is a milestone in the society we live in, but ten years is still barely a scratch in the time line of eternity. I am forever grateful that I chose Bob and that he chose me. Our lives have not been perfect, for, like everyone else, we have our ups and downs and trials... life makes sure of it, but we have come through time and again to show life that it can't get the better of us. Together we make a wonderful team - and when you add our five amazing children, our team becomes invincible. Not because we are perfect, but because we help each other to achieve perfection - one step at a time! We have our eye on eternity - and eternity with all seven of us together!
We've done ten - we'll do it again! Let the journey begin!
Love your writing! Happy Anniversary...here's to another 10, then another, then another.....etc! xo
ReplyDelete