Okay - so Gabi missed this field trip because she was really crazy sick, and so we told her we'd go this summer. It ended up being me and the kids because Bob's schedules has been jam packed, but we had a good time - though I'm not sure we found any drawings on rocks. I'm guessing we didn't wander far enough, but who knows. All I know is the kids had a blast playing in the little creek!
There were some large rock that appeared to have some "washed out painting" but we didn't get close enough to see if that's what we were supposed to find.
When we first got there, we were excited to read the sign and learn that the man who discovered - or at least named - the area came from Belfast, Maine... and therefore named the area Belfast. We love finding these kinds of connections to our own past!
We were also a little concerned looking out, because it was all in the open, it was really hot, and, well, dry looking. As we came to the end of the flat - which was where we'd start down hill, but we didn't know it - the trail turns slightly and there before us was the creek down in the valley, and green all around. Honestly, I don't think the pictures do it justice. The kids and I stopped up there and just looked - and a sense of excitement filled the kids' faces, as they were dragging their feet in disappointment before, and all I could think of were the Pioneers as they entered the Salt Lake valley and what they must have felt - I'm sure what hit me was only a teeny, tiny fraction of what they felt.
All in all we had a nice time... the only complaint was that we didn't stay long enough - we had left lunch up at the van and Jacob was ready for a nap. Another time we'll pack it all down with us and stay longer!
No comments:
Post a Comment