After spending the last three days (without Bob) ripping apart and trying to organize, weed out, dejunk, and clean our house (which is not done yet), the kids and I sat down to dinner. Nothing strange about that as we eat dinner every night - together.
Then the following occurred.
Jacob, the not quite two year old, started singing. Again nothing unusual about that, just that his choice tonight was "Ba Ba Ba, Ba Nanna" - you know, from the trailer seek peek for Despicable Me 2. He just likes the tune. So I started singing with him... and included the Potato section and all that. Of course, I didn't get it just right, because I was, of course, thinking of the original song "Barbara Ann" by the Beach Boys.
Well, my all too smart children so graciously informed me that I was doing it wrong. So I told them about the original song and sang them some. They thought it was great - which goes to show that only kids can truly appreciate a parents' voice (unless, of course, you're like my friend and have an amazing voice).
Pretty soon dinner was finished while I looked up "Barbara Ann" on YouTube and played it for the kids. Twice. They LOVED it.
Of course, what's a walk down memory lane (no, I was not born then, but I certainly grew up with the tunes)... anyway, what would be the point of a walk down memory lane if I didn't check in on a few other songs - right? Especially since my kids were having fun!
So, we listened to songs like "Lollipop", "La Bamba", "Surfing USA", "Fun, Fun, Fun", "Daydream Believer", "Go, Johny, Go" and "The Twist".
And we danced - or more like they danced - hopping up and down, spinning around, arms flying out, laughing, wiggling, and having a blast. And, yes, I actually taught them the twist. It was great!
Reminded me of all the times I listen to these kinds of songs with my mom. We both loved the oldies.
The best part: it was decided unanimously that we need to gather some "oldies" so we can play them any time we like.
Now those are my kids! =)
No comments:
Post a Comment