Friday, November 21, 2008

Standing For What We Believe - Faith Even In Adversity

Being rather "protected" from the media - no TV, little internet time with four little kids running around - I gather much of my news from my husband's accounts of the news from work. The hatred going on today is unbelievable - okay, I guess it's very believable, after all, the scriptures have told us this was coming (see Revelations). But still, sometimes I really don't understand where anger comes from - not to say I haven't dealt with it myself, but even then I don't understand it really.

But anger which goes into direct destruction and violence - I have never understood that. Never. Not even in history class. I'm not looking for someone to help me understand it - the mental part of it I do get - it's the deep down emotional side of me that just can't fully comprehend it. Since when is violence the answer? Violence, typically, only begets more violence. And, yes, I agree there are necessary times to defend ourselves. But not when one's life is not already in danger.

Earlier this week, I read an email forwarded on to me. One which is an eye witness account of a member of the church who was at the LA Temple during one of the riots. I loved how he told not only what was happening, the strangeness of seeing the police all over the temple to protect it, but more than that what he said about the peace he felt even during the chaos - the knowledge that there were angels all around protecting them that night.

As I read over this email today, I was reminded of the scripture which tells us that those that be with us are more than those that be against us (see 2Kings 6:15-17). The fight for truth is on going. It didn't start here... it has merely continued. The fight is real. And it includes more than just mere mortals. The Lord will not allow the devil and his angels to destroy the truth. The Lord has promised us that. The righteous, those who chose to come to earth and receive a mortal body, were more than those who tried to force perfection without knowledge or understanding upon us. Now, here on Earth, the same is true. Because even though some of us may choose poorly (and all of us at times), and some will blatantly reject truth and salvation, those who fight the good fight - who fight for truth and salvation - are still, and always will be, greater than those who are against it. Our numbers include those who have come and gone, those to still come, and those already here. And our power is only that of the Lord - the greatest power in all the heavens and the earth.

I read another account from an LAPD officer today. It's amazing the things they are willing to share with the rest of us. Things which both sadden and amaze us. For there is great anger and cruelty as well as strength and Christ-like courage. I hope that we might all find a way to show such strength and Christian Courage. Surely our leaders today knew that we would need to better understand just what Christian Courage is as they spoke of it numerous times during General Conference.

It breaks my heart to think of the persecution of the saints. It breaks my heart to see riots break out because democracy was exercised. Desecration of holy places is not going to change our values. Our beliefs. It's not going to make us crumble and think that our Lord has left us. He has a great work that is going forth. We are only here for a short time. The difference we make is only as strong as the Spirit's witness to another. But like the pioneers before us, we will not forsake the truth because of bullying. If anything, it will strengthen us, as we see prophecy being fulfilled. The scriptural revelations becoming reality right before our eyes.

My mind reels as I read more of these accounts - just as it does every time I read the accounts of the massacres, mob rages, and "extermination" efforts towards the American Indians, the early Mormons, and the Jews. No matter how many times I read or hear them, they still leave that same heart-sickening feeling. That sense of "why?" Not "why does the Lord allow this to happen", but rather "why do people refuse to see each other as people - turning violent when something does not go their way?"

We are here in a free country. Free. Does that not mean anything? Freedom is knowing that you have voice. Freedom is exercising your right to vote. Freedom is being able to worship the way you believe. Freedom.

Freedom does not mean that we can do anything we wish - that is anarchy. There are certain human rights that should not be denied anyone. Those are such things which allow one to be and feel safe.

But freedom does mean that if you don't like the results of something, there is something you can do. You can be productive - not destructive.

And in the end was it the Mormon's who had the final vote? NO. IT WAS THE PEOPLE. The greater voice. That's democracy. That's what makes this a free country.

Though I do not like to see anyone hurt in the aftermath of such emotional decisions, I do not agree with the violence and vandalism it has provoked. I stand by my beliefs. One of which is to allow all to worship how, where and what they may (See Article of Faith 11). But I also claim that same privilege for myself. And when I vote, it is not because my church has told me how to, it is based upon my values - and like everyone else I know, my values come from my beliefs.

For some, marriage is merely a term - something to be changed according to what they want it to mean. For us (as well as in other religions), Marriage (the union between one man and one woman) is a covenant - a promise made between the two and the Lord. It came about from the time of the union between Adam and Eve - a sacred joining of one man to one woman through the power of God. To us, Marriage is not just a social term. It is a sacred ordinance.

I testify that I know that Jesus is the one and only Christ. That He loves each one of us. That He hung and suffered on the cross that we might all have the opportunity to call on Him and be saved unto eternal life through His great atonement. I know that He has given us scripture to help and guide us even in these last days. I know that He speaks to a prophet today! A living prophet - for which I am so grateful! And I know that He will return to the Earth again. He is coming! And no power on Earth can stop that! He has promised to come and bring peace to the Earth again. The things of today are things testified of by prophets - specially John - which must come to pass before Christ returns.

I know that each of us comes to Earth with different trials to overcome. Different circumstances to endure. These "hardships" have been chosen specifically for each one of us so that we might grow to our fullest potential. And though many are much more difficult than one might think they can withstand, I know that the Lord grants us His additional strength. I know that He will not leave us in our times of need. He loves us too much for that.

I am so grateful to know who I am. I am a daughter of God. I am loved. I am known. And I will stand strong - with peace in my heart - as I look forward to the day I am reunited with my Savior! I pray all my loved ones will be there as well. And I pray that all will have the chance to decide for themselves if they will also follow, and look forward to, Christ.

I know that I can speak directly to my Lord through prayer. That He hears and answers me. Not always in the way I might think is best, but always with peace and always, as it turns out, for the best to help me grow. I am so grateful to know that I can know truths for myself - not because someone else has told me - but because I have studied it out, prayed about it and received a divine answer and witness.

Our Savior has promised us peace. He has promised us eternal life. And He has given us the only hope of eternal families - our families together beyond the grave, never to be separated. I hold on to this - knowing that we all have choices to make for ourselves - even our children. But knowing that as we each come to know and accept Christ, we can have this for ourselves.

I am grateful for my testimony, which has come from years of study, pondering, prayer and reflection. I am grateful to know that although I am far from perfect, I can work towards perfection, and that Christ will make up the difference when the time comes as long as I truly do my best and repent when I fall short. And most certainly, I am grateful to feel peace - a peace which does not come of the world, but only through the Love of Christ.

In all this chaos, confusion, bitterness, hatred, violence and such, I pray that the Love of Christ will be able to reach all. That through it we may all come to have such peace. Let us all be willing to love one another. To pray for each other. And to find peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment