Sunday, November 2, 2008

You Can Know For Yourself

Today was Stake Conference - a time when all the congregations (Wards and Branches) of our church in a specific location gather for one large meeting. This, for us, involves a lengthy travel to and from. But it is always worth it. Sometimes it seems (in the moment, until reflection) that it wasn't worth while because it's hard on little children. But today I was fortunate enough to feel it's worth even before I arrived.

Maybe it was the fact that I actually thought ahead last night - gathering up clothes and food (breakfast for the ride up, lunch for the ride back), and ideas for entertaining the children. Maybe it was that I got up early enough to get everyone ready without arguing with them. Maybe it was because things seemed peaceful this morning. Or maybe it was just because the Lord wanted to remind me of the importance of the messages to come.

Whatever the reason, on the ride up, I had a thought relating to going to conference. And the Spirit hit me with such force that I had to blink to be sure I was till in the van. I knew there was something special about conference. The Spirit reminded me of that on the way up. It certainly made me feel better about dragging Peter up there - he's just come down with a cold that seems to have settled into his chest.

Once arriving, there were several moments when the Spirit bore witness of truths shared. But more than that, the Spirit taught me things.

In one particular talk, I remember the Spirit instructing me about the importance of inviting others to come to know for themselves. Inviting them to participate, to join in these special meetings or events or readings which we know will grant them the opportunity to know for themselves that God loves them. That Jesus is the Christ. That we are all children of God. Special, sacred, well loved children.

I know these things for myself. I want my children to know them for themselves as they grow. Why, then, would I not want my friends to also know? The answer - I do want them to know. I want them to feel the peace and joy and love which is like no other. That only comes from knowing who you really are and why you are here.

If you could know for yourself - 100% know - would you take the opportunity to find out?

If you answered yes, then please go to the below links. They will help you find out for yourself. You CAN KNOW for YOURSELF - seek, ask and you shall know!

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
Jesus Christ, The Son of God

No comments:

Post a Comment