Two nights ago we went Christmas Caroling. It's one thing that Gabi had asked to do early in the season. When I started planning for it, I was trying to figure out what to give these families... cookies... and then... well, we thought they might be interested in a Holiday movie. So we made mention to our missionaries what we were planning. They had planned to do some caroling, so the plans were made to go together.
This meant the week of Christmas, when many families are out of town. Never-the-less, we had a few friends we wanted to go to - and the missionaries had people they were teaching that we thought would enjoy the visit. So, off we went... singing all the way... in two vehicles!
Since we'd had some icy weather not all that long ago, and then had a storm that finished up the day before... well, it was interesting. I managed to get to two houses just fine... on all the curves and back road type stuff.... however, as I followed Bob out to the end of one road, I touched my breaks and the van started it's little dance - big swing to one side, gentle correcting, huge swing to the other side.... all I remember after that was the realization that nothing I could do was going to keep us on the road. Bob was in front of us.... and so was a telephone pole! It was either let it go now (and avoid the pole), or try to keep correcting - still go off the road and hit the pole and maybe Bob.
Well... in the snow bank we landed... not too hard... the kids a little stunned. Everyone just fine... the van..... stuck.... really stuck...
Such great men we have.... the missionaries stayed and dug out the van, I tried to convince the children that it was NOT going to blow-up, and Bob headed back the house to get his truck to pull us out....
45 minutes lost.... Spirits still high and cheerful.... we head out again. Two more houses.... then Bob tries to move over to the side of the road to wait for me so we can go to what has now become our last house - (due to time).... that's when he found a culvert.... who knew that was there.... and down he went. Fortunately we were right by our friends whom we'd just sang too so they came out and pulled him out.
Still undaunted... we head out again... up the road..... it's getting late... hoping our next set of friends haven't turned in for the night (they have a new baby).... the baby was down, but just barely... so we were able to round out the night with another great, joyful caroling and short visit!
The Spirit of Christmas will overcome all dreariness.... we were of good cheer... the Lord watched over us... and the children want to do it again... although, as Jeremy has said in his prayers... "no going off the road, when we do caroling, no accidents"!
Glad to hear it was minor, and everyone still had a good time! :)
ReplyDeleteThis randomly reminds me of the night I brought Halloween goodies to your sick kids and then my car wouldn't start and we had interesting adventures with jumper cables and puddles and rain. Gabi thought my jeep was gonna blow up that night, too. I'm glad everything turned out ok...again!
ReplyDeleteOh, and I got your letter and picture today in the mail!!! Thank you soooo much!!!! They're all getting so big and they're soooo beautiful!!!! I miss you all so much. We have to get together next time I come back east. The kids probably don't even remember me...*cry*
And now I'll stop rambling. I always talk too much, even in typing. :D
Ps- How'd you get my address? Not that I mind, just curious. Nobody has it that I can recall...
I am glad that you made home safe and in one piece. That will be an experience that your children will remember for years to come. What a great story to tell.
ReplyDelete