Friday, May 15, 2009

Our Very Own Cream!

So we finally did it... okay, we've been waiting for supplies so I guess it's only fair that it's taken this long...

We made our first batch of lotion today. After studying out so many recipes and only having tried the two our friends had given us, it was a little nerve racking to get started. I decided not to use any one specific recipe - but did the research on various oils and choose the ones I felt would best suit our needs - or rather Peter's needs. The rest of us could only benefit from such a perfectly matched combo to his highly sensitive skin! I also researched numerous recipes... the style we did is technically a cream... it is creamy, though it's thin, so I called it a lotion.

Well, with research in hand, proportions to work with, and a few questions answered, we got started. (We being Gabi and myself). It only took about half an hour... though most of that was probably me being slow trying to make sure I wasn't forgetting anything or doing something in the wrong order. What we got was something we really like - so far!

It's a little thinner than I think I was originally planning on, but I'm trying to determine if I want to make the next batch a bit firmer or not. The way it is, you just get a tiny amount on your finger and it goes a very long way really easily. It just glides on... you can feel the hydration, and it's not greasy (this was a surprise to me). It even absorbs quickly, so I can use it any time without having to worry about not touching anything or about letting it soak in over night. And because it absorbs so quickly, Peter's clothes are not becoming oily. We like this!

If anyone wants to try some, let me know, I'll be happy to let you try it out. Oh... and as for scent, well, I was thinking we put too much Tea Tree in it, but when it was all together and then put on, it smelled so nice... I can't fully describe it - though Gabi and I spent a good hour trying to. It's a light, slightly sweet scent that reminds me of candies when baking with Grandma... I know, that doesn't tell you anything... but, like I said, I just can't really describe it.

We'll let you know how it does with Peter.... he's been off lotions / creams for a good week and half... in that time, he insisted that he be allowed to eat Peanut Butter - and, yes, for certain he has a sensitivity. Anyway, we'll see how long it takes to help him heal and replenish the damaged and dried out skin!

No comments:

Post a Comment