Saturday, February 5, 2011

Beth Turned 7

She started her day in near tears. "I don't think anything is going to be the way I want it to be for my birthday," was her concern. Oh dear....

This was an odd year for us with decisions...okay, odd for Beth. It's not usually hard for her to make party decisions, but this year seemed to be. She kept changing her mind and in the end specifically said that she didn't want a specific theme. In fact, she said "I think I want to do it like Matthew" (a friend of her's) "and just have games and fun." That worked for me!

She did decide on a cake - an ice cream cake really. I have this book from my mother which themes out parties and shows you how to sculpt ice cream in addition to making cakes and all that. Anyway, there was an ice cream castle in there she thought was great. No big deal - but she wanted to put chocolate cake in the middle of it. Okay... I think that still won't be too hard - and then, Bob brought home a tub of ice cream (we were doing two parties not just one) instead of the boxed stuff. "Will this work?" he asked... well, yeah, should be okay. Just meant more work for me.

But... it wasn't too bad. The hard part was making sure to freeze it enough in between. So really, I more or less frosted the cake with ice cream, built up towers with my food scoops and then just smoothed it out... tried to decorate some with left over butterflies (pretzels) and candies, but it was weeping so it had to be thrown back in the freezer and I was done.

But everyone loved it - it was pretty tasty too.... my favorite part was the comment from her friend Maddy "It's a Sandcastle!" with just excitement... and when I took a step back, I had to chuckle, but it really did look like a sandcastle! And best of all, Beth loved it!


Peter and I made her cupcakes for her class - butterflies. I'd seen some where online a picture of cupcakes using mini pretzels to make butterflies. Very cute. But how would it be dipped in white chocolate and sprinkled with pink sugar? So that's what Peter and I were doing... and then we ran out of white chocolate - so we made half the batch in chocolate and the other half in white chocolate. They were cute on their "rose petal pink frosting" and everyone thought they were extra yummy - of course, when you make moist chocolate cupcakes with a yummy raspberry center, what's not to love!?!


Beth had a wonderful time after school on her birthday - many friends came up and they played hide and seek, limbo and musical chairs! That doesn't count the pile up on the tire swing. Those were the three games important to her and everyone was having such a good time that no one wanted to stop to open presents and eat ice cream and cake! That is until I told them there wouldn't be time to eat it if we didn't eat it then.

Her friends were very generous and received many exciting toys, bath joys (a scrubby and body wash), books and of course, her favorite, a gift certificate to the local book store... I still need to take her shopping!

When she went to bed that night, I asked her how her birthday turned out. "It was the best! It was perfect, Mom!" I'm glad. She deserved one perfect day.

No comments:

Post a Comment