What a joy it was to be in Farmington for Church. Daddy was still on assignment (up to Newport), but since that meant a bunch of extra meetings, we decided it was best to stay in Farmington! The kids were better than Saturday night, but having not touched base with Bob yet, they were still a little pushy with each other.
Although Jeremy and Peter had tremendous trouble sitting still (in any form), we manged to get through Sacrament meeting, and I even heard and remembered two and a half talks! (For a mother of four by herself, that's really good!)
I had been having a rather hard time with the way the weekend had gone and feeling a little sorry for myself that I was sitting with the kids who would have rather been some place they could run around, when I noticed another mother, who is also a foster mother. Her husband was not there either and she had 7 little ones around her (not counting her two own children). This is not normal for her, but in seeing it, I realized I had no reason to feel sorry for myself. Four was nothing next to seven, and two were behaving rather well. The other two were not-quite-one and two and half.
Primary music went well, and it was nice to be with the kids again! They had learned the 4th verse to I am a "Child of God" very well, so it was a nice treat to just listen!
A friend wasn't in church, so I gave her a call later in the afternoon. We had a little fun realizing how similar our weekends had been in regards to our children. She was in need of some Priesthood service, so when Bob called, I sent him on to her house. It was wonderful. She told me that I needed him just as much as she did right then, but I reminded her that when he got home, he'd be staying and he didn't have work the next day.
That saddening feeling that's not quite depression, started to lift shortly after that. And I realized it was blessings from the Lord. Immediate blessings for the sacrifice our family was making to help someone else in a greater need than ours. I reflected upon that and realized how grateful I was for the words of Brother Danala on service that morning. Our family is often service oriented, but I think I needed to be reminded of what truly makes us happiest in this life: doing the Lord's work on the Lord's schedule.
I must note that not only was my spirit lifted, but the children calmed down and started getting along. They did not know what Daddy was doing, but I know the Lord blessed our family by sending his Spirit in greater abundance. The more we feel His Spirit, the more our family is happy and at peace with each other. By the time Bob came home, we were all smiles with hugs and kisses for everyone, not full of frustration and complaint.
I am grateful for service and the peace it brings us.
No comments:
Post a Comment