Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Planting, Projects, and Toys

Once again the planting resumed. Actually, Bob had gotten some corn in last week as well. Yesterday the kids got out to help with more corn, onions, peas, beans, cucumbers, carrots, zucchini, summer squash, broccoli, and beets (I'm not sure if they put in cauliflower or not). I actually got to help with the onions! We'll be doing another planting of corn, peas, and beans later on. We'll also be transplanting our tomato plants in a week or two. I'm not sure if Bob is going to do peppers, like last year.

Bob had to divide his time between the planting and the work needed on the apartment building. But, the weather assisted in that... so he spent the "dry" part of the day planting, and then headed into town to work at the apartment when it was raining.

He's been able to get a lot done. But in all the work he's doing right now and the end of the school year coming up, he doesn't have free time for anything right now. It will be nice to get it all done though... or to have him get it all done. And then, when summer really gets started, he'll be around. We love summer for that reason... although I'll admit it doesn't take much to fill the schedule. So the family is booked first this year... though we may find that's the only real time we get with everything else we need to get accomplished... things like gardening, splitting and stacking wood, putting in flooring (maybe) and a back splash and finishing up the kitchen cabinet doors and....and....and...and..... this list is never ending...

But, for now, we've got the bulk of the garden in! Fresh veggies are surely a delight!

(You'll notice that Peter was given the trucks to entertain himself with. And that he also found a toy gardening rake and momentarily decided to "garden" in the dirt beneath the swings. You'll also notice that, yes, we let the kids dress themselves. Their style sometimes lacking what we might consider going well together...colors, clothes inside-out and backwards...and so on. I'm sure this won't be the first time -or the last- that you'll notice it! Oh, the joys of empowerment!)

1 comment:

  1. It looks like everyone is having a grand time. I miss being able to plant a garden. I am thinking of buying pots and trying out some new things here. It looks like you had great helpers too!

    ReplyDelete