Thursday, May 1, 2008

At Times We Are All Weary

Last Sunday our family traveled, once again, for a High Council assignment. Although it's not always easy to get four little ones up and dressed and fed (without messing up clothes) and then settled into reverence after driving for so long, the blessings we always receive make us look forward to each assignment given. This past Sunday was like that, but it was also a lot more for me.

Since you'll recall that our family (and me in particular) went through a rather lengthen spell of illnesses a couple of months ago, I'm sure you can understand why I was so run down and feeling so empty. I eagerly "drank in" all there was to hear at both General Conference and Stake Conference. My soul needed this greatly! My heart was lifted, although I must admit that I had not gotten enough. My reserve was so empty that although Conferences are a feast, and then some, they were not enough to completely fill me.

Life has also been weighing me down. The day to day things which seem to be thankless (and therefore are not thought of by others to thank you for), the added stresses of our own family "adventures" - baseball, dance, real estate options (no, we're not moving), and then there were all the uncontrolables. I like control... not necessarily order, although I've been finding I like that more and more with each kid I have, but certainly control. It seemed there were too many things beyond my control which would (or were already) effecting our family greatly.

I am also very fortunate, because not only do I know that I have my Savior to turn to, I have a wonderfully supportive (although, especially with kids, they sometimes show it in odd ways) family. I have people who love me and care about me.

So back to last Sunday. Since I speak with my husband when we go on His assignments, I knew that I would need to prepare a talk. At General Conference, I knew one of those talks would be the one I needed to prepare mine around. I was drawn to Elder Wirthlin's talk on Concern For The One. He spoke about three groups of people who end up falling away from the gospel. I believe his purpose was for us to better understand these people and then to understand better how we might assist them.

In any case, my talk was focused on taking the insight he gave to us of these three groups (Some are lost because they (are): different, weary, stray) and how we might be able to help them before they become "lost".

I realized that each of these categories were not only different, but through all three, everyone was included. Even those we see as strong, indestructible, "perfect", and in high callings. The one that stood out was "Some are lost because they are weary" for weariness comes from everything in life. It doesn't have to be specific to the gospel, to our callings, to the people within the church. It's the daily life, the illnesses, the sense of emptiness, the not having anyone help out, or call. It comes from worry: for self, for family, for friends, for others. It comes from trials and struggles. It comes from the weight of responsibility. When we are weary, we set ourselves apart (though not intentionally), and that is what makes being weary so dangerous.

But, as with the others, there is a simple cure. If we would constantly look around us toward others, to call them, to serve them, to show our love and care for them. If they aren't there, don't assume it's sickness or vacation and then do nothing. Pick up the phone, stop by their house. Serve them. It doesn't take much to open the windows for weariness to pass out of.

In the end, the key concepts were to get to know other people, stepping outside of ourselves and our cliques, NOT passing judgement, and SERVING in SINCERE LOVE. The biggest point being: We feel the love of our Savior through the love of His servants. We are all the Lord's servants, and need to be able and willing to act according the the promptings of the Spirit - how well are we doing His work?

It was after giving this talk that I finally felt filled again. Though I already knew this information, I greatly needed that reminder. Not just because it had been what I needed from others, but because it reminded me that I, too, have a responsibility to seek out others. That wallowing in my own weariness was not helping, and that I needed to allow the Lord's love that had come from others to fully heal me and allow me to move on. I know my circumstance, in this instance, was short lived. I know there are many others for whom weariness is a daily battle. These people certainly need us to be more active in seeking them out. No matter how strong they are, their burdens are only lighter when we seek to serve them and support them.

Though I've been told by many that the talk was really good, I know that it was not exactly what I had written down. It was prepared through inspiration, and delivered by the Spirit. My words were merely the "transportation" so that the Spirit might be able to teach and testify to each. Because of this, I do not feel it would help to post my talk. But I would certainly encourage anyone who is interested to sit down with a Hymn book and Elder Wirthlin's talk. Open your Hymn book to page 220 ("Lord, I Would Follow Thee") and read over the words to each verse. Ponder them each for a moment. Then read through Elder Worthlin's talk keeping in mind the focus to learn how to help these people before they become "lost". Ponder as you read. And let the Spirit teach you what it was able to teach both me and the congregation that I was speaking to.

No comments:

Post a Comment