So Bob left yesterday morning for another Scout backpacking trip. He loves these - he really just loves to be out in the wilderness and camping and hiking and all that. It wouldn't matter (much) what excuse, he'd be a part of it if he could.
For me, I normally don't mind much.. but we did just have a baby a month ago. And he's been gone with Scouts three weekends (okay, two of the them were gone three days and two nights, the other was only a 24 hour period). Still, that's three in a row. That doesn't count that he has work and meetings the other nights of the week. And even now I wouldn't be complaining.. but, well, let's just say I'm really glad this is the last for awhile.
The night before Bob left, Jacob decided it was time for his first REAL growth spurt. You know, the kind where you nurse what seems non-stop and you nearly pull your hair out because you're too tired to do anything else and all you want to do is cry. Yeah... that kind. Started between 10 and midnight that night - then, as noted in the post below, it was every 30-45 minutes until 9pm last night (not quite a full 24 hours). So I woke up already thinking... "what the heck! I'll be lucky to survive him being gone" Little did I know just how right I was... but for different reasons.
The house was still in need of being put back together from the milk spilled carpet cleaning adventure last week. It's been a process - a little here and a little there... never mind that life continues to happen. Needless to say, I wasn't getting very far.
Then... a cabinet door "fell off" - it's broken. As in the glued section that keeps the wood paneled.. yeah, one side is still attached to the hinges and the rest is clear off. The result of "we were playing a game and Peter bumped Jeremy into it". Sure.... But I wasn't there to see it... so what can I really say? - Anyway.. inconvenient, but not serious, really. Annoying- absolutely and just another thing to add to Bob's list when he returns - not so fun.
Then... amidst the laughter and joy of Jeremy and Peter in a game of "make you laugh", a suddenly, ear piercing scream! Along with the "ting" of metal. The homemade (it was a bucket of sorts first) bent up, metal "drum" had been thrown by none other than Peter and hit Jeremy in the back of the head! After a quick discipline when Peter is now on his bed awaiting further punishment, Jeremy removes his hand from his head and begins hysterical screaming because his hand is covered in blood and it's running down is neck and back! - I look at it and determine he needs stitches... which puts him in another series of hysterical screams and sobs about not wanting to go to the hospital.
During this, I ask Gabi to call Grandma and let her know I need some help. The internet (of which our phone runs through) is completely down! I don't have a cell phone! So, Gabi runs across the street (this is the silver lining) to let Grandma know what has happened. They both run back, and Gabi is sent back to get Grandpa (a foot doctor, but a doctor none the less) to come and look before we figure out how to deal with a nursing like crazy baby and a little boy in need of stitches and therefore a Mom in the hospital with him and the other kids. Silver lining number 2 - Grandpa looks at it and say we don't need stitches - all we need is to close it up with some hair which he can do himself at home. He carried Jeremy across the road and when Jeremy returned, it wasn't closed with hair because Jeremy couldn't deal with the pulling - so he had a patch of hair removed and a band-aid holding things closed.
It's still "open" today, but the band-aid is doing what is necessary - and I learned that the scalp actually heals without much scarring in a situation like this without the necessity of stitches (unlike Peter's eye which was not quite as wide as the opening on Jeremy's head). So.. no back of the head pictures for awhile.
Anyway - Bob's leaving yesterday was not well planned.. assuming anyone had been able to look into the future. But there is a silver lining number 3.... suddenly, though 8pm at night, kids began cleaning up and most of the house is done!
As for Peter - if he throws something, it's gone... and he was sent directly to bed for the night. As for the "drum" - it found a new home in the town of TRASH!
So far, Day number 2 has been relatively uneventful. Now.. if day 3 is the same we just might all survive.
I'm so sorry! Craziness.
ReplyDelete