Sunday, January 18, 2009

Some Snowy Adventures

Well I had meant to blog about one of our many snowy adventures - but it has taken me this long to download the pictures! I know, I'm terrible about that. Never-the-less, here we are.

It's not been as snowy here as last year - not as many storms - not as much being dumped on us. For this I am grateful. Of course, the trade off is the miserable, nearly-unbearable cold temps. I say nearly unbearable because, of course, we're still alive and kickin'! Anyway, during one of our snowy adventures, I was in and out shoveling snow (which my body is still trying to adjust to since last year was my first year shoveling since I got married - gotta love the husband how insists it's not good for the pregnant body and then those little ones who won't let you away from them long enough). For that day, we bundled everyone up first, and all headed out. I even thought to put the camera in my pocket.

Jeremy and Peter love to help shovel snow. Here they are clearing the deck - later, though I did not put up a picture of this, Peter turned his shovel around so the handle was sticking out between his legs and started toddler hopping down the deck saying "gi-up, gi-up" - if it's not a train, it's horse he can ride! :)

They first tried to create a snowplow train to remove the snow off the slide - the landing at the top isn't very big, however, and Jeremy had slid down when Gabi tried to get Peter in line behind Beth. This made Bethie's face sour until I told her she had an even bigger pile at the end of the slide to land in!

We also took out spray bottles filled with food colored water. This was our first real attempt at snow painting and I guess I should have tested each bottle. We were smart and put in hot water (so it wouldn't freeze - we have a spring so the water is nearly already frozen when it comes through the pipes), but I hadn't checked to see just what spray setting each was on. When I washed them out later, I discovered most were set for a steady stream instead of a mist. Oh well... live and learn. They still had fun - enjoying seeing the snow change colors.

While the older three worked on that, Peter and I headed to the driveway to shovel - I put up pictures of another time when he was hanging onto the back of the snow shovel and just letting it drag him around. Well, his time he helped for while. Then he was a little tired, so I just scooped him up with the snow and ran him and the snow up the little hill. He laughed all the way. I had to convince him to get out so I could dump the snow without dumping him, but he made sure to jump back in for the return ride down the "mountain" (which is what he called it). Anyway, this continued over and over again - and although it made things a bit slower, he was having so much fun that I just had to laugh. I did get a video (although not exactly how things happened because I couldn't video myself pushing it) but can't post it here because I guess I made it too big. But here are a few pictures I took stopping every so often to get the effect!

And then... to top off the morning, we headed to the back hill and (after re-creating the sledding run) the kids went down a few times. I got a few pictures and then thought I'd get a video of all the kids in train formation - but the trail wasn't packed well enough and we had more powder falling on it the whole time! We'll have to try for that later.

We love having the different seasons - there is so much to do and so much to look forward to with each season!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you were having lots of fun! Hunter really misses the snow for sledding. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete