So I drove the kids and myself home thinking I'd sit down with them and read "Vidia and the Fairy Crown" since we'd not been able to touch it in several days due to late nights (we were reading a chapter a night of this series and had only just got through the first chapter of this book). Before I could sit and read with them, though, I needed to catch things up in the kitchen before I really got behind... we've done fairly well keep things tidy and cleaned up!
I was just thinking that I'd make some nice soup for everyone that evening, since it had started to pour outside... I figured my two adventurers would be in need of some warm and filling food. But I wasn't expecting them until at least mid-afternoon, so I knew I didn't need to start it right off. I had just finished up the kitchen and was working on a load of laundry when the phone rang.
I was screening our calls... we've had way too many that I can't answer the questions to, so I just let them go to voice mail for Bob to deal with later. So I almost didn't answer when I saw "Robinson Gen" show up. But for some strange reason (okay, I was prompted) I picked it up. And there, on the other end, was Bob. They wanted me to pick them up. Obviously they'd cut their trip short - due to the rain and all - right? So, yes, I gathered all my kiddos and off we went again.
When I arrived to pick them up, there they were.. two very drenched individuals... I almost said drowned rats, but really... They get in, I turn on the heater (yes, the heater in the summer... the kids weren't too thrilled but seemed to accept my response).
"So, hey. Where's the canoe?" I said.
"We left it in the river" came the response from Bob.
"With some friends" added Amber
"Left it in the river? You mean you banked it and we need to go get it?"
"No. We left it in the river to be washed down stream with all our stuff."
Now, with me somewhat puzzled, the story came out.
Everything was going well. The weather was fine. The water was fine. They were having a good time. It seemed like a wonderful adventure... especially for someone who had never "gone down a river before".
Then came the rain. Not that a little rain hurts much of anything. But the rain and the splashing of the water made it hard to see through glasses, so Amber took hers off and held them between her teeth. And still things were going well... they were wet... and getting wetter... but everything was under control.
One wrong move - or rather "steer" - and the next thing they know they're in the water! Splash! Unexpected, cold, wet....
A gasp... the glasses gone.
The lunch... gone.
Water bottles... gone.
One paddle... gone.
A life preserver... gone.
The canoe..... BROKEN!
BROKEN. BROKEN. BROKEN. Split in half!
Very wet, and with nothing else to do, they head to shore. Amber, having never had this marvelous experience of being dumped and then fighting the current to get back to dry land... or rather, wet land. So, with some vocal guidance... and a lot of prayer... she made it safely there... and so did Bob.
Dripping... being rained on... looking back at the mess they'd have to leave behind... they then plunged forward to figure out where they are. The rain is pouring... they're cold... they stop at the first house they see... no answer. Then the second.... no answer. A third.... no answer.
"Three strikes. We're out."
And finally they land at the store they called me from.
In amongst all the excitement, they were able to see a rainbow and a Bald Eagle.... In looking back, Amber laughs. It wasn't funny then.. but it was a great adventure....
Bob... well... he always laughs... so that's what he did. Humor is all in the way you look at things! :)
I'm glad your talking humor, because I laughed the whole story through...sorry Bob and Amber! I am glad everyone is okay and thanks for feeding my sick sense of humor...love ya.
ReplyDelete