Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A Start and A Transition

We officially started home schooling yesterday! It's been exciting... and this week is really more of a get our barrings and make sure we know how to fit it all in week. But Gabi seems to really be enjoying herself... enough so that she even mentioned how much fun she had today in her prayer. I've enjoyed my kids coming into bed with me and wanting me to read to them! It's a much better way to enjoy the morning than racing for the kitchen to make sure we have a lunch, homework, shoes, jacket... and whatever else might be needed that day!

This morning, Gabi came in and we finished half a book before the other kids joined us. It was nice to have some alone time with her... that hasn't happened often.

I've also been transitioning Peter..... all my other kids were off naps at this point, so I should have put two and two together sooner... but it was during the "dad away at Zion's Camp" when I let me kids "camp out" downstairs that I learned why Peter was awake every night... typically happy (if he can find the bink) but just lays there, kicking whatever and tossing and turning until he falls asleep again! Oh well... this week is rocky.... transitions always are.. but I think it might go a little faster than the others!

On the up side, I've noticed Peter using his words much more often... when he's not over tired! And today I even got him to do a sentence in sign... "please, read more book"... as he was wanting me to read Dora's Opposites in English and Spanish (from Aunt Cheri several years ago) over and over and over again. I, of course, had to accommodate since he was actually communicating and not screaming! His favorite part, though, was at the end when he started pointing to all the characters and I'd tell him each name. When I'd get to Tico, he started laughing and laughing. It was great fun!

Anyway, look for our new blog... we'll be starting a second one just to keep track of home schooling things... fun adventures, and notes to help us remember everything. We haven't decided on a "school name" yet, so the site's not yet set up. I'll let you all know when we get it running!

2 comments:

  1. I want to wish you good luck with the new transition. I agree with you not wanting to be rushed in the mornings. It does seem to make the day better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy to hear that Gabbi is liking the Homeschooling thing. Unfortunetly, due to some home issues, we have decided to send Hunter back to school this year. I hope that we can still manage to squezze in a playdate every now and again. As I have missed seeing you guys. Take care! Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete