Friday, May 14, 2010

More Baby Gifts

So there was the baby shower that I made the blocks and ball for. Well, I had more of the same block fabric and so I made up 5 more for the same friend. In addition, I knitted a baby Kimono Wrap Sweater (she's having a girl).

Being over Achievement Days, I had the girls learn to use a sewing machine. It was good for them - they each were able to do at least part of the sewing by themselves since my machine has a speed control on it. Anyway, the projects they did were a receiving blanket and four burp cloths for this same friend mentioned above (a sister in our ward). We ran out of time, so I top stitched them at home.

This friend really wanted a sling - her sister loves hers (I can't blame her, I love mine too) - but slings are pretty expensive. I told her that if she wanted to, she could pick up the fabric and I'd make her one. We measured her, she found two really cute fabrics, and because she choose to have it reversible, I was able to make her two slings instead of one (need the same amount because of the length). So she'll always have one - even if one needs to be washed. I love the pouch sling and think she will too - and they are so simple to make that even with numerous (at least 5 major ones) interruptions from Peter and a phone call, I was able to make both slings in 2 1/2 hours. She's so excited -said she thinks that the item she's most looking forward to using!

Since her baby has not yet been born - though soon - I don't have any picture of her using it yet! She's promised me some - since I like to keep pictures of the things I make.... some day.... just maybe... I'll put them all together in a book! Ideally I'd love to make a scrapbook with the pictures and the patterns I used too. Wouldn't that be great for referencing!?!

In addition, I was looking at baby cocoons - I think many are really cute, and what I was most looking at was that they keep the baby swaddled without having to make the baby too hot (summer baby in the desert... sounds good to me). They can be made to be cooler or warmer, with larger gaps from stretching or smaller, up to the personal preference. But try finding a free pattern on-line. I found a couple that were just rectangles then sewed together, but that seemed an unnecessary extra step. So I made my own. This is my first, I still think it's cute (though the baby doll is certainly different than a real baby in it) - but I plan to continue to play around and discover a pattern that I can love all the time. This is just basic for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment