Saturday, May 8, 2010

My Job Chart - A New Way To Keep Track

We're trying something new - thanks to a friend. She found this site called My Job Chart - it's online (the biggest draw back thus far) but it's free, you sign up as the parent and your kids are signed up underneath you (added protection). You choose chores / jobs / assignments (whatever you want to call them) for each of your children. You assign a point value. You choose how often (every day, once a week, a certain day, morning or night or both). You also get to choose rewards and the number of points needed to "purchase" the reward.

We've chosen mostly "free" rewards - with a couple of things that will require some spending of money (like eating out and going to the movies at the theater). But because I can set the number of points, those things require a huge number of points - which means they really have to want it and save. (I'm also open to any suggestions to add options for my children)

What I like so far, besides the above, is that it's a system that keeps track for you (and yes, you can go back to a different day and fill in if you weren't at the computer by the end of the day). I like that the kids like it (so far) - they can each sign in for themselves and check off as well as see what is still needed. Because I also can get updates and I can check everyone all at once (and they know it) it helps teach them honesty and integrity. I also love that it teaches them to budget without having to have money in the hand. I know a lot of people really like the allowance system - and if it works for you, great. But we don't really have the finances to do that, the kids hear us talk about "is it in the budget" all the time, and I don't want them accumulating unnecessary junk that just adds to the overwhelming chaos of the house. This program lets them earn points, while establishing good behavior and habits, and they still have to budget them - it's just not money. When they are interested in a "reward" they check in with their store, and they can choose from what is listed as available (based on the total number of points they have).

At this stage, it's nice that the computer is doing the math for them. When they get older, we'll switch to a money based something - though I am not a fan of linking it with standard chores - I strongly believe that a family has certain responsibilities which must be met without financial reward. I believe such teaches children to understand the importance of stewardship and service. But they will need to know how to budget money, how to keep track of it all, and those things long before they are on their own. They already are careful with what they receive for gifts - always paying tithing first - and I think that's where they need to be at the ages they happen to be right now.

Anyway - if you're interested in trying it out for your own family - go to myjobchart.com and sign up. We've been doing it for about half a week - we've already made a few adjustments and made some rules about how frequently they can get on the computer to sign off the items they have done. (I'm not interested in my children being so linked to the computer that they forget there are other things to be doing). The house is staying in better condition - though it's still not perfect. Attitude is great until they get tired or hot or hungry, then the points don't seem to matter to them (but then again, nothing else usually does at that point either).

No comments:

Post a Comment