We've had an evolving method of telling the kids to quiet down....Or more accurately, I have. Typically "be quiet" was what I said. I never liked "shut up" much as it always seemed too harsh. But, with more and more kids making more and more noise, the staggering frustration that mounts when you're trying to have a necessary conversation and hear the other person and hear yourself think makes it hard to not just snap and say it.
"Hush" has not been much in my vocabulary... I always think of sleeping babies, of which I had none...most of the time... so it didn't seem appropriate. Over the last year, I've used "shush" much more often. I guess that was my natural compromise when I was frustrated and wanted to yell "shut up".
No one else in the family uses it... or at least they didn't. Over the last week, though, I've found myself being "shushed" by none other than Jeremy! :) It should be insulting to be told to quiet down by a two year old in this manner, but I can't help but smile and laugh. It even makes it hard to enforce the "don't interrupt" rule when he's right in my face saying "shush, mom, shush"!
I guess I talk too much... so "shush, mom, shush"
No comments:
Post a Comment