Saturday, February 16, 2008

And Behold... She's Really Listening

I have such a hard time with Beth. Okay, not all the time, but certainly some of the time and almost always at scripture time. It's not that she's a bad kid, so don't misunderstand what I'm saying. She's just a little....well...preoccupied.....

She can't sit still, sings to herself and dances all around. This, of course, drives me crazy (I know, short drive) because I'm a literal, need quiet for reverence kind of a person. I'm always interrupting scriptures to remind her to find a seat and be quiet so we can hear. Sometimes she sits with Daddy and is quiet and attentive. But this is not the norm. I'm certain she's not getting anything out of the scriptures. She can't possibly be listening and actually hearing anything.

So, Thursday night, she's off in her own world, singing and dancing. I remind her to come and have a seat. That there is a chair right next to me. So she skips over, hoping and turning at the same time to sit down in her chair... all the while Daddy is reading Alma 2:19....

D: "...that there were slain of the Amlicites twelve thousand five hundred thirty and two souls..."
B: "WHOA!.....That's a lot!" (crazy energy vibe and legs swinging wildly)
D: "...of the Nephites six thousand five hundred sixty and two souls."
B: "That's alot too!"

So... I guess I don't know much. She's apparently listening and hearing!

1 comment:

  1. I have one like that too, I used to try to make him stop and look at my face so I knew he was paying attention. I learned quickly that if he had to look at my face, he was trying to remember to look so much that he didn't hear a word I said. Now he will just glance at me, and then look away to hear my words, but I know he is listening then!

    My mother-in-law says that even though her other son appears to sleep through church, he will go home and be able to talk at length about what was said. It's hard to adjust to the way other people learn!

    ReplyDelete