
Being at home with a cold and 4 little ones under foot, I must admit that I was truly grateful that we could watch President Hinckley's funeral online. I found it moving as I listened to the people speak of his accomplishments, his good-naturedness, his love for all, his example beyond measure. I was reminded of many of my own memories of him. Almost all of them are from a distance, but his influence has been felt in my life. His shiny eyes and loving smile. His sincere desire for all to be better people. His gentleness when he spoke, yet with such power and wisdom that a heart was forever turned toward the better.
President Hinckley was my Prophet. Others had come and gone before him. All have had a great impact for good as they've followed the will of the Lord. But I was too young to remember well anyone before him. President Hinckley is the one I remember. The one whose words reached my soul. He's the one whose teachings are most vivid to me. The one whose council I have tried, and continue to try, to put into practice. The one who inspired me.
I will miss hearing his voice at conference time. I will miss seeing his cane wave. I will miss the way he taught with humor and love. I will miss his living example. But I will cherish the messages he gave. What he stood for. What he taught. I will hold dear his love, that I have felt, even from a distance. And I hope that I can, everyday, "stand a little taller" steadily "raising the bar" until I meet him and my Savior in a more perfect state.
I am so grateful for the gospel! For the LOVE of our savior. For His wisdom in giving us prophets to lead and guide us. I am forever grateful to have lived during the time that Gordon B. Hinckley was chosen of the Lord to guide us! I am grateful to know of eternal families and of life after death.
I know that this church is indeed true, and the peace that comes in times like this is from our Lord. I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, inspired and prepared to bring the church and all its saving ordinances back to the earth. And I know that Gordon B. Hinckley was also a prophet of our Lord. That he, too, was prepared to do the Lord's work. That he fulfilled his earthly mission, and that the work continues on the other side.
May our hearts be filled with love and compassion toward one another. That is something he would have wanted. Stand a little taller, be a little better, and live more harmoniously with one another.
No comments:
Post a Comment