Thursday, April 29, 2010

10 Weeks - More or Less

We're in count down mode... or at least some of us are. It's not uncommon for Peter to ask if the Baby is coming this week. Or soon. Or even today. Well, when asked this question today, I told him we still have ten weeks (and of course, if he's like the rest, it will actually be a little longer, but 10 is a number Peter understands well). So, with each sibling he saw, he had to tell them that they baby was coming in 10 weeks.

Along with that, Peter has been telling us all along that when the baby comes, he'll be giving the baby the baby toys (since I do happen to have a small basket of some of our more favorites that came across the country with us). Today, Peter would run over and grab a toy, bring it over and set it on my belly. If I tried to move it off, he'd tell me he was giving it to the baby and that the baby was playing with it.

He's excited to have a baby brother and to play with the baby. Excited enough that he's forgetting he can't play "bust my buffers" with him. (Where Peter is a train, hands out in front in fist, and runs fast into (usually) Daddy) - so tonight, baby got "busted" a couple of times by Peter's "buffers". Ouch! Double Ouch! I had to try to explain that the baby can't play that game yet - and that he won't be able to play that game for a very long time even after he comes.

But he's very excited! And there's something inside me that keeps screaming "hurry up and get ready" - I feel mostly relaxed, but there are a few things that need to be done - like finding out if we brought the pump and the bottles. I finally ordered nursing stuff today - I hadn't even thought of it until now! And I have a whole list of baby items to make (in part because I have a crazy desire to be making things, and a larger part because they are needed or will be useful). I've never actually "nested" before - although Bob use to claim that I did (about a couple days before, or like with Beth, the night before) but that I just couldn't do any of it so he did. Maybe... but it's never felt like this.

Remember my crazy reorganization around the house - yeah, I don't think that was spring cleaning. I didn't finish the one room only because I was hurting too much. And I've had to be doing things - mostly with my hands, which is why I finally figured out how to really knit. I've done the one sweater, have completed most of two more (need to buy more yarn) and have another ready to start. I also have a list of baby projects to do (I may have mentioned that more than once) and last week I spent making all sorts of gifts for a bridal shower. I feel antsy - and it's really weird.

Even with all that, I have not turned into a crazy scrub the house to pieces freak - at least not yet... I do find that I get more irritated with clutter and mess. And I'm more likely to clean up the kitchen completely several times a week instead of once or twice (I have trouble with the dish soap bothering my skin, so I tend to put it off). I'm avoiding floors not because I don't want them done, but because every time I do them I'm hurting - something about hips at this stage. But I do tend to make the kids do a lot more "tidying up" - the everything in it's home once a week deal that I'm typically okay with isn't usually okay any more (though with sick kids this week I've been more lax - they've had to tidy up, but I haven't made them fully complete it all - bedtime has been way more important).

Nesting has it's advantages, but it's also wearisome - this strange, antsy feeling that never seems to go away often wakes me up at night.... not to mention that aching body, which is nothing compared to my other pregnancies. I'm enjoying getting some things done, and do hope that I feel I'm calm and ready for the change in pace and lifestyle once again when the baby comes - if he's anything like the others, I won't be getting a full night sleep until he's well over a year. And I'll have to watch him like a hawk until he's about two and half... but that's okay, because he'll be part of our family, sweet and cuddly, and we're all looking forward to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment