The latest from the doctor when (as we're leaving) Bob asks how everything looks.
"She's doing fine. Just keep her off her feet more."
I had swelling on Monday and it wasn't completely gone at the appointment on Tuesday - but everything else looked great! So... down we stay - to help with swelling.... but I'll cheat as long as the swelling stays at bay - there are four kids around here, house work to tend (at least from time to time) and then there's the stir-craziness that just gets the better of me. Until I hear the words "BED REST" (which, at this point, I think it's safe to say we won't) I'm not going to put myself completely down. - When the swelling hits, well, let's just say it's movie time. And since school is out, that means Bob's around to help out - now... scout camp week, that's another story, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.
That is interesting advice (I understand that advice for when someone keeps having preterm contractions but not swelling) Infact when people have edema it is walking (or the pumping motion of the feet hitting the ground up and down) that actually helps the lymph system push the old fluid up out of your extremities. Not that I dont think it is nice for you to sit alot (we all know it is not really a good time to walk around at that point) but Id have to say his advice is most likely causing the swelling to build up in the first place. Not that your asking for opinions.
ReplyDeleteI realize I was signed up under Jacobs account. That last comment is mine (Heather) although I only share it knowing Jacob agrees. He and I have had many conversations about this topic (previously regarding others)...are there any osteopaths there to work on you by chance?
ReplyDeleteI don't have much for swelling... and actually, Monday I spent sewing all day, sitting a baby shower and sewing some more. It was during the last run of sewing that the swelling it - and then it just hurts. Bob did dinner that night and I just sat with my feet up (instead of down). I went walking Tuesday morning because I understand getting the blood to circulate a bit better is suppose to be helpful - but I also know, at this point, from past experience, that it doesn't always work. The very act of being on the feet with baby engaged puts the pressure in places that causes more swelling. But, putting up the feet usually makes it go away.
ReplyDeleteI also wasn't very good about fluids on Tuesday because I spent a chunk of it sleeping (making up for no nap the day before) and I understand that that makes a difference too. I also recently heard that good proteins (or high quality ones) are also suppose to help with keeping swelling at bay - and proteins are harder for me to digest right now, since I'm constantly feeling sick.
My OB Nurse friends said it sounds positional, and that I should be careful not to stay in any one position for too long. Seems to makes sense, because I wasn't having the problem for a weeks time when I was putting various things into my day which allowed me to be up and down and such throughout - constantly changing position.
My blood pressure had gone from 122 / 70 something to 98 / 63 (I think that bottom number is right)... apparently this is my lowest on record.