Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Chocolate Chip Cookies, Laugher & Memories

I never thought there was a true best chocolate chip cookie out there. Chocolate chip was chocolate chip and they were all good...after all, they were cookies. But a few years ago, when I'd make chocolate chip cookies, Bob would ask if they were Betsey's. I never understood what was so exciting about those particular cookies (but I also didn't really eat the cookies much, I generally made them for everyone else). Bob had noticed a difference the first time he'd had Betsey's chocolate chip cookies. He didn't know what was different, just that something was different!

So, I called and got her recipe! Indeed, something was different, and I have since decided that there really is a best chocolate chip cookie out there! This is the only chocolate chip cookie recipe I use and I eat at least as many (and most likely more) than everyone else in the family now! I even participate in eating the dough!...okay, story time:

When I was a rather young teen, my aunt and her family came out to visit. I was the family chocolate chip cookie maker (in my immediate family and extended in the area). So, true to my nature, I was making chocolate chip cookies one afternoon when my aunt stopped by. She starting eating the cookie dough!

I was polite for one taste, but, as my nature would have it, I got mad after that (short temper, hot fuse). She and her kids were eating up all the cookie dough! A small taste I could understand, but cookie dough was for making cookies, not for eating! She told me that back home they would make a batch of cookie dough just to eat it! I was horrified! And even more so when my mother said it was fine we could make more cookie dough!

I have since come around. After all, it's fun to let kids have a spoonful of dough after they've helped to make it. (It also keeps them out of my hair long enough for me to get at least one pan made up and in the oven!). And since Bob loves cookie dough so much, I've gotten good about putting aside a few large spoonfuls for him to have as a treat when he arrives home on our cookie baking days! The most amazing thing (shhh don't tell anyone) I actually eat the dough too and a few times we've actually eaten all the dough without cooking any of it! I bet my aunt's laughing now.

Today Peter helped make the cookies. He didn't mind me putting things in and just watching until it was time to grind the oatmeal. He had a blast! By far his favorite part of making cookies! Just watch the video below and you'll see what I mean!

2 comments:

  1. So what's this amazing recipe???

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an amazing story! Makes me want to make cookies now! :) Gald to see you had fun...

    ReplyDelete