Friday, April 18, 2008

Daddy Bed Time

Most of this week has been Daddy's turn to put kids to bed. A relief to me, as bedtime is usually mine (and the kids) breaking point because everyone is so tired and run down from the days adventures. Still, if Bob and I are both home at bedtime, the kids usual request me, and often go into hysterics if they don't get me to put them to bed! It always levels out when Dad gets up there and starts tossing them onto their beds and playing games before they say their prayers. Often he'd stay up talking with one or more and bedtime would go from half an hour to an hour or more!

Last week, at Stake Conference, one of our general authorities (I honestly couldn't tell you which one, as the talk was presented in the Priesthood session) spoke about the types of stories we needed to be sharing with our children, especially at bedtime. From my understanding of the talk, we were strongly encouraged to spend our story telling time, and especially while sitting upon the child's bed before they go to sleep, sharing stories from real life experiences which were faith promoting. Especially, when applicable, mission stories.

Well, anyone who knows anyone who went on a mission knows that mission stories seem to be endless. And those of us who didn't go on missions (for one reason or another) often get to feeling out of the loop. But when it's your Dad telling you stories from his own life, they are enrapturing!

Our children love this new ritual! When Daddy is home, they head up the stairs, eagerly (and quietly) awaiting his entry when he'll not only go through the prayer and tuck-in routine, but then sit (first in one room, then the other) telling stories from his mission! They love it! And they want to hear those stories!

When he wasn't here, they wanted me to tell them stories too! I didn't go on a mission, so I don't have that seemingly endless supply! But I do remember when the girls were smaller, before the boys came along, when I would lay with them and tell them stories from when I was a little girl, or when Grandma was a little girl! So, the rest of the week I've been thinking back to my favorite, uplifting and fun experiences! Because, after all, Daddy isn't here every night at bedtime, so I want to be able to share such experiences with them as well!

**A call to family: If you have stories that you are willing to write down or to type and then send or email to us, we'd love to have similar stories (uplifting, faith building, fun, real) from you to tell our children as well. It's a great way for the kids to learn about their extended family!

No comments:

Post a Comment