Saturday, March 1, 2008

How Dare She...

Gabi is an interesting child. She's probably a lot like other girls her age. Since she's a bright child, she typically understands things that most 5 years olds would struggle with, and I find some of the things she does just mind blowing. Take yesterday for example:

Gabi had arrived home. She dumbed out her backpack, handing me all the large papers. When I walk by the table, there are two smaller papers still on the table. I pick them up.. one is a little put it together story book from school, the other was a birthday invitation. I quickly look over the invitation and see that it's to be held on Sunday, so decide I'll tell her right way that she won't be able to go, but could still get the girl a present. I figured this would result in a melt down (as sometimes such things do when a social engagement is being threatened). Instead, Gabi asked who it's for. Obviously she'd not even realized she had it. I told her. And her reaction:

"How dare she give me an invitation to her party!"

There were numerous other statements, but the one above is the one that stuck with me. I was blown away! It's a birthday party! It's for a new kid in class! She's never mentioned a problem with this girl before! I decide to count my blessings (I'm no going to have to fight with her about being in church instead of at the party).

Later in the evening, Gabi mentioned that she has a friend named Danielle. Then she tells me this friend is the other girl's older sister. Okay. So now I'm curious why she doesn't like the other girl. I thought maybe the older sister had led Gabi to believe that the girl wasn't as nice as maybe she was (you know, like siblings have a way of doing). Not the case. The real problem:

This girl always wants to sit next to Gabi during rest time! Gabi insists that she has to sit next to a different friend, and that someone else always gets to her other side first. That this girl needs to let other people have a turn. (Not noting that to let someone else have a turn implies that the girl actually got to sit next to Gabi at some point... which she didn't).

It was so hard not to laugh at her. She was obviously very serious and distraught by this problem. So, I try to point out to her that this girl probably really likes her. That it's a great opportunity to make a new friend (to which she replies, "I've got enough friends"). We talk about how different this girl is. And then I remind her that missionary work involves being friends with people and letting them choose if they want to believe in God (one of her issues with the girl that she falls in the majority of the group who doesn't believe).

I even went as far as to remind her of a similar situation late last fall with a girl who has now become Gabi's best friend! (That time the other girl would try to get Gabi to talk to her by saying hi...they were on the soccer team together and loved to play together there)

So... I'm confused at how the 5 year old mind works... and as a parent I have to try really hard not to laugh at things which I see humerus and she finds to be a serious matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment