Monday, October 6, 2008

Night Terrors?

Peter awoke in the middle of the night Saturday night. That in itself is not too terribly unusual, although it doesn't happen as often. This time, however, he was screaming this horrible, freaked out, wild, crazy kind of scream. It was kind of freaking me out!

I tried to give him his Binky thinking he was just too tired to find it on his own. He'd have nothing to do with it. Even when he finally took it from me he only did so to chuck it as hard as he could. Not only that, but he refused to let me hold him. Whenever I came near, he'd get more hysterical and dive away or lash out in a full assault beating on me for all he was worth!

The look in his eye was nasty - scary - nearly possessed - fully angry! When I saw that, even after talking to him, I grabbed him right up, held him snug, facing out so he couldn't hurt me further, and proceeded to tell him that I was there, that it was Mommy, that he was safe. Nothing seemed to help.

Because of the dynamics of the situation and because there were other children sleeping (or trying to), I brought him out and down stairs. He continued to rage on for a good half hour or so in this terrifying way.

I thought, briefly, of calling my home teacher, glanced at the clock and realized he was probably on the road headed home (without cell phone) since the Priesthood session had only just finished. A prayer was said and then Bob was called at work. I believe his shift was over and he was just finishing up the last stuff, so it wasn't too bad there. Just after the call, Peter finally accepted his binky and curled up on my lap - settling down, eyes becoming clear again.

I have no idea what happened. That was totally and completely not like any episode I've ever experienced with any of my kids before - definately not a tantrum thing or teething thing or sickly in pain thing or anything like what we've been through over the years. It was completely terrifying!

One suggestion was that maybe it was night terrors and maybe he wasn't fully awake when I went up to get him so he wasn't recognizing me. I don't know. He has a doctor's appointment on Wednesday - I'll be sure to bring it up.

1 comment:

  1. My son had that sort of thing happen to him three or four times when he was about 2. D and I concluded it was night terrors--my niece has the same thing happen to her, but more frequently.

    ReplyDelete