Ever feel like you have more questions than answers? That's kind-of how I'm feeling with Peter's skin condition. I mentioned before what was going on... and that we were pretty sure he's allergic to raspberries and blackberries....
Well, things were going fine... until Saturday evening... Peter's leg is now infected from scratching... and he had another flare-up (hive-style) and this time we haven't any idea what's causing it.... again!
Anyway, we're trying to treat the infection - we'll be in to see our doctor Wednesday morning - I don't know where we're heading from there. I just know we need some answers so we can fix (or at least control) the problem. The poor little guys is hard enough - and, of course, he's very uncomfortable and is sick of all the "gooping" we have to do!
Poor guy. I hope he feels better soon!
ReplyDeleteIf he is allergic to berries then is it possible he is allergic to the pollen or plants themselves? Just a thought.
I am not sure if your post was also with hope that readers would offer up some possible ideas regarding the flare ups. I will offer some suggestions but if you were not looking for that then obviously just disregard the following:
ReplyDeleteI would take him off the following food groups:
All Gluten containing foods
All casein containing foods
Items that increase the growth of candida in the gut, like candy and an overabundance of sugary foods (even too much of a good thing like fruit can totally feed the yeast in the gut and cause it to take over the healthy bacteria)
As well as your already doing with berry containing items, taking him off of that.
and then I would introduce alot of the following into his diet:
Kefir (will populate his gut with healthy bacteria-which he is obviously missing, or else he would better be able to handle more food items)
non-sugar containing youghurt (which will help to feed the bacteria already present in his gut)
After atleast 3 weeks of this I would start to re-introduce one food group at a time and watch for reactions. This helps you know that A. you have re-established a healthy bacterial lining in his gut, and B. it better allows you to pinpoint the irritant.
If you decide to go this route and are wondering what in the heck he could eat when those food groups are gone I can help with ideas.
Ugh, I can only imagine how miserable that must be for him. I hope he gets better soon, and you find some answers!
ReplyDeleteTara,
ReplyDeleteMy kids have all had a similar condition at one point or another. After giving them homeopathic remedies they cleared up. Savannah's within a week, Kiara's within a couple of months (hers was the worst case) and Donovan's within a month. With Peter's it might take longer because his case sounds more acute.
None of them have ever had another flare up either. Good luck!
OK, I have to put my 2 cents in. I have something (only 1 of my children has presented so far) called cold urticaria. A fancy word for I break out in hives when I'm cold. Not just in winter, but like in a car with the windows down, or swimming too long. The worst is if my feet get cold, ever had hives on the bottoms of your feet? It's awful. Where it hit in the fall, could he just be too chilly? The test (horrendous) is an ice cube to the skin for 3-5 minutes. I don't recommend it, unless your alternative is Heather's suggestions, then I'd try a 3 minute test first! Wow!
ReplyDelete