Monday, October 6, 2008

Puppies, Babbies, And Growing Up

Beth has wanted a puppy for as long as I can remember. She loves animals - and puppies (though she's certainly seen more toys than real) have a special place with her. So she asked Dad if we could get a puppy :

D: Absolutely.......not.

Between the girls the response was not well taken at first. Then Daddy commented about how puppies are a lot of work, almost as much work as babies. And that if we wanted to have that much work, we'd just have another baby!

B: We're going to have lots more childrens. (Yes, with the s)

I'm almost, but not quite yet laughing, eyes truly wide as I look to Bob. Then the questions of why she thinks this comes up.

B: Gabi and me, when we grow up, will have babies and then we'll have more children" (we'd corrected her plural)

D: Yes, when you grow up and get married you can have children and then we'll have more children. And when Jeremy and Peter grow up and get married, their wives can have babies too and then we'll have more children.

To this Jeremy pipes in:

J: I'm going to be something different when I grow up!

M&D: What are you going to be?

J: I'm not going to tell you. It's a secret. You have to guess.

The game proceeds with everyone jumping in with silly things like food, toys, vehicles, objects, etc. Until finally Daddy says we've guessed so much he'll just have to tell us.

J: Okay. (Huge grin, twinkling eyes) A Daddy!

I guess he's right... a daddy is different than what he is now! I'm so glad that my little boy knows how important the role of daddy really is. And that, above all else, that is what he will be when he grows up!

1 comment:

  1. Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
    Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

    ReplyDelete