I had a wonderful experience yesterday afternoon at the end of the After School Program.
Some of the parents had gathered to wait for their children to finish up. This one mother (of four, two of which are baby twins and one is a toddler between Jeremy and Peter's ages) had brought her children with her. The toddler had been part of the pre-school soccer team (which I "coached" this year). He had also joined me several times at the playgrounds when the baseball teams were playing last year.
As kids his age tend to do, he kept mostly to himself. He even played soccer his own way - most of the time. And rarely interacted with anyone... even me! (Okay, almost all of the kids in that group were like that)
Anyway, yesterday, I saw him walking over to our "mummy" field (where some children were wrapping others in toilet paper). His sister was one of the "mummies" so I figured he was heading over to her. Then he stopped right in front of me. So I said hi and asked how he was doing. He immediately grinned and held out his arms to me. So I picked him up and he gave me a huge hug!
It as very special for me - to know that I was loved by this little boy. To know that my willingness to just be there had meant something to him!
No comments:
Post a Comment