Monday, March 31, 2008

But I Still Love You

I've always heard that most kids will go through an "I hate you!!!!" stage. So far, I think I have to count my blessings. See, although I vaguely recall Gabi trying it out, I must have been far too prepared or far too insensitive because instead of having that "rip-your-heart-out, what-have-I-done" feeling, I had to quickly turn away from her so she wouldn't catch me laughing at the absurdity of the whole thing!

Like I said, I'm counting my blessings, because I've had two others come through this same stage in some form or another. I don't think Beth knows how to put those dreaded words to use on Mom or Dad... her siblings, sure, but then she makes up pretty quick. Jeremy, though, has entered the stage in a rather humorous fashion! One which makes me smile, so I have to bite down on the corners of my mouth while he's so seriously looking at me!

See, it's been a wonderful thing to listen to Jeremy say he loves me. That later turned to "Your my Valentine" because, after all (and as the girls pointed out) your valentine is someone you love a lot! So, Valentine's Day or not, he likes to use this!

A few weeks ago he got mad about a decision I had made. In his stomping off, bend the eyebrows as low as you can, and make your best grouchy face and voice mode, he says "Mom! You're not my valentine any more!!!!" Later that evening, he curled up on my lap, snuggled in, gave me his best "I-love-you and aren't-I-so-cute-and-sweet" look and told me that I was, once again his valentine!

Two nights ago, it's time for bed. This is a time to be dreaded, if you're the kid, and so Jeremy is rather vocal about the "it's not fair" - ness of the whole thing. Then, just as mad and loud as he can possibly say "You're not my valentine! You're not my best friend any more!" (Oh, I think, as I try not to laugh, we've changed the value) As he stomps off towards the stairs (still making his best "I'm-so-mad" face and stomping for all he's worth), he calls back over his shoulder "But I still love you!"

It's so nice to know that love is not something he's willing to trade off!

1 comment:

  1. Oh....thanks for the chuckle cute little Jeremy!!!
    And Tara....good thing you know how you rate.
    KKS

    ReplyDelete